IVF-Infertility.com home

Suprefact and Folic Acid

Discussion group for all topics related to infertility including preparation for pregnancy, causes, investigation and treatment of infertility.

Suprefact and Folic Acid

Postby PMApsy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi guys! :D

Just two quick questions...

I am on an FET protocol and I started taking Suprefact on day 21 of an otherwise unmedicated cycle. I'm supposed to call my clinic when AF comes. Have any of you started taking Suprefact or Lupron around your day 21 on a natural cycle? Is it supposed to delay AF or make her arrive earlier? Or have no effect at all? Just want to manage my expectations here...

Plus my best friend went to a fertility clinic for a first apt this week. Her gyn prescribed her 5mg of folic acid to take on a daily basis. My friend is a GP and she usually prescribes 0.4mg... prenatal vitamins or natural products usually give 0.4 to 1mg in a daily dose... Apparently, her gyn told her that, according to recent studies, we should take between 4 and 5mg of folic acid daily to prevent neural tube damage... whew, that's quite a difference! Anybody heard something like that? Just checking!

Cheerio!

Sophie :)
1st and 2nd IVF = BFN 1st FET BFP! m/c at 7 weeks. 2nd FET BFP! 3rd FET BFN
Now let's spend the rest of our lives having fun together! Image
PMApsy
Regular

Sponsor

Postby shantala » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:50 pm

hey sophie

cant help at all but just wanted to say hello!!!! missing your posts....so good to see you on here!!!!

how you doing?? i see you're doing an FET. best of luck my dear!!! will be keeping EVERYTHING crossed for you!!!!!

xxx
2nd IVF/ICSI - baby girl Elliana born 21.4.08 weighing 7lb 6.5ounces; 7 frosties left...
Image to all!
shantala
Valued Contributor

Postby PMApsy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Hello darling!

So great of you to drop by! Since I started taking Suprefact, I have a little thought for you with each dose! Sniiiiiiiiiiiiif... "hope Shantala is okay... "sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiif... "hope the nausea subsided...."

;) Are you enjoying your pregnancy so far? I hope so! :)

As for me, thanks for asking, I'm doing well. We sold our house and bought the new one. Lots of renovations, but we're happy about that; it's a superb project and the house will look amazing once we're done.

Healthwise, I recovered from my laparoscopy quickly, my only tube started filling with liquid again and I don't like that, but it's still at a level that shouldn't interfere with implantation. My amazing clinic forgot to tell me that the protocol was changed and is now over two cycles AND is completely medicated. But given that they have higher success rates with it, I'm also keeping everything crossed. It would really be nice to become pregnant this time! :) Of course it would, lol!

Take care my dear, and write whenever you want; you know the hotmail address!

Sophie :D *hugs*
PMApsy
Regular

Postby beachbaby » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi Sophie, don't know if you'll remember me, i just wanted to wish you luck on your FET. I have everything crossed for you this time.
All my FET's were medicated cycles, my clinic prefers them as they have more control over the timing. I got aProstap shot on day 21 which shuts the system down, then 14 days later (AF in that time) i took oestrogen tablets to thicken the lining. Startred the progesterone suppositories 2 days before transfer. I took folic acid every day since starting this journey until 14 weeks pregnant, it is for neural tube development.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
beachbaby
Me 39, DH 40. TTC 5years
4th times a charm,1-IVF, 3xFET's, 2 chemical
Twin boys born 9/7/08
beachbaby
Regular

Postby PMApsy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:20 pm

HI beachbaby! :)

Of course I remember you! :D It's great to have news and I'm so glad FET worked for you! :D Woohoooo! How are you? Is pregnancy treating you well?

Thanks for sharing your protocol with me. What I wanted to know is whether downregging like that (from day 21) delays AF or not. I also wanted to know what dose of folic acid your doctors recommend. The standard is between 0.4mg and 1mg, but apparently, new studies suggest that it would take as much as 4-5mg per day to prevent neural tube damage. So I was wondering what other clinics said about that (given that my friend's clinic prescribes 5mg systematically...).

Take care! :)

Sophie xxox
PMApsy
Regular

Postby Welshgirl38 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:22 am

Hi Sophie hunnie :D

How the devil are u? Long time no hear from!

Ok - heres my input, i dunno if it will help u somewhat, but we can try :wink:

When i did my IVF i to was on superfact. I started in on day 21 of my cycle. As my AF is usually around the 28/33 day mark, she arrived about 12 days after i started injecting the superfact. So im not sure if it was delayed or not. I remember getting my AF and thinking - should i be having this or not and i rung the clinic to inform them, and they said it was normal and that things were on track!

Dunno if this helps hun or not, ur prob even more bloody confused now lol, i tend to have that effect on some people lol ....

Becky Xxx

1 IVF=BFN 2 IVF=BFN 3 IVF=BFP :) m/c @ 8 wks :( 4 IVF=BFN
We must now let go of the life we had planned, to live the life waiting for us..

Adoption course starts March 19th
Welshgirl38
Valued Contributor

Postby beachbaby » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi sophie,

thanks for the well wishes, everything going great so far. can't believe after 2 miscarraiges a junior aspirin a day made that much difference.

my AF was never delayed after the down reg shot, mine usualy arrived by the end of the first week so bang on time. Folic acid we only take 400mcg daily. However i know someone on the board was taking a large dose for her next round due to some immunity issue. sorry can't remember her user name but she did post on the ivf thread. hope this helps.
jayne
Me 39, DH 40. TTC 5years
4th times a charm,1-IVF, 3xFET's, 2 chemical
Twin boys born 9/7/08
beachbaby
Regular

Postby PMApsy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Becky: OMG girl, so NICE to see you! I see you're taking the IVF plunge once more, oh boy, I'm keeping everything crossed for you!!!! Thanks for the info; not confusing, don't worry!!!! I see that Suprefact, just like Lupron, causes many false alarms... I have bright red spotting in the evening, think it's a go... then by morning it has stopped and it's back to brown... but eventually, I know it will be a real go and then I can call my clinic to warn them! ;) GOOD LUCK dearest, and you know where to find me if you need me!

Jayne: thanks for the info! :) I'm so glad they could find a good plan for you and that you're on your way to motherhood! How exciting!!!!! :D

Take care girls!

Sophie
PMApsy
Regular

Return to General Forum