IVF-Infertility.com home

Numbers of Embryos to transfer?

Discussion group for all topics related to infertility including preparation for pregnancy, causes, investigation and treatment of infertility.

Numbers of Embryos to transfer?

Postby onthefence » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:08 am

Hi all-

DH and I just went for our first consultation with an RE. We know we have to do ivf because I have one tied tube. I have had three healthy pregnancies when I was in my teens and early 20's. I am 35 and DH is 37. We spoke briefly about the number of embryos to transfer and given my current situation, RE says he would be comfortable transferring 1! DH and I want to try and avoid multiples for obvious reasons, but does this make sense?? 1? He said I have a 40% success rate with one and a 60% with two, however, a 25% chance of multiples with transferring two. Has anyone had any success with transferring one? I would hate to go through all of this and end up with a BFN. Thanks!
onthefence

Re: Numbers of Embryos to transfer?

Postby Maximus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:29 am

The advantage that you have is that you have already had 3 healthy pregnancies. It's not unreasonable to transfer 1 given that. If you make good quality embryos then you may have the option to freeze. But using fresh has a higher success rate, so I would wait to see how many embryos and their quality on day 5
Maximus

Return to General Forum