Positive Beta, Spotting!

Discussion group for all topics related to infertility including preparation for pregnancy, causes, investigation and treatment of infertility.
StefScott

Positive Beta, Spotting!

Post by StefScott » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:33 pm

I am brand new to this board. I am hoping someone can give me some reassuring thoughts. Yeasterday, I received word of my positive beta test. We were so excited, but I also started spotting. The nurse told me it is normal to sometimes have spotting at this point and that I shouldn't worry about it as long as it is not heavy or real red. Today, it is a bit heavier (still not much...only on TP when I go to restroom), but I am also having slight cramping. I am terrified that this is the beginning of the end. Has anyone else had this happen to them. Any info would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Sponsor

Sand
Board Veteran

Post by Sand » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi Stephanie

First of all, welcome to the site. You'll soon feel at home here :) . Secondly .... Congratulations to both of you on your +ve !!

I've never had a +ve, let alone spotting, but I have a magazine in front of me which has an ariticle about bleeding in pregnancy. It says that "bright red blood, similar to a light period, in week four or five, is implantation bleeding. The embryo is embedding itself in the lining of your uterus. The bleeding is nothing to worry about, and will stop once the implantation is over".

However, the article does advise speaking with your doctor to describe your symptoms, even if the bleeding is only slight. Just to be on the safe side, I suppose.

Take care, and lots of +ve vibes for a healthy preganancy.

Sandra x
Me 41 yrs old - dh 49 yrs old. ttc 110 yrs.
1st cycle (ICSI)....Mar 04 -ve.
2nd cycle (ICSI)....Aug 04 -ve.
3rd cycle FET........May 05 -ve.
4th cycle (ICSI) ... Feb 06 -ve
5th cycle FET ..... Feb/Mar 11

kappy
Regular

Post by kappy » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:57 pm

Hi Stephanie,
Welcome and congratulations on your BFP! I saw your post and had to reply since I just experienced the same thing. I had my first ever +ive at the end of December. No sooner did the clinic confirm it ... and I started bleeding. It was bright red, enough to wear a pad, but not enough for a tampon. This continued for 3 days. I even had some clots and a good deal of cramping. I thought for sure the baby was gone. My clinic said there was a good possibility that I might be miscarrying. They said I had to wait and have my HcG levels tested twice with a day in between in order for them to see a rise. It was a horrible long wait, but amazingly my levels did rise and I'm still pregnant today (7 weeks 4 days).

So in the end I found out that bleeding like you're experiencing is fairly common. Sandy was correct that it definitely could be implantation bleeding. Some embryos have a harder time implanting and damage more of the endometrium in the process. This can cause a small hematoma to form next to the sac, which can bleed for a few days. My doctor believes this is what happened to me.

Stay positive ... try not to worry too much (I know that's impossible, but try). Definitely let your doctor know if you haven't already. Watch for the amount of blood, color, and cramps. And keep reminding yourself that this happens to a lot of women who end up continuing on with a normal pregnancy.

Sending you positive vibes!
Kelly

StefScott

Thanks, Sandra!

Post by StefScott » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:01 pm

Thank you for the information and well wishes! It really helps to put my mind at ease! I am going to think positive thoughts and wait for my second beta tomorrow. I'm sure you are right and there is nothing to worry about. Thanks, again, and best wishes to you in your endeavor, also!

Stephanie

ogr1
Board Veteran

Post by ogr1 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:22 am

welcome and it is always great to here of ++++++++++++
alot of women have bleeding.
also know that brown blood is old blood.
also ask your doctor about blood clots..

be knowledgeable but dont drive yourself nutty..
becky
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter
and all of our many adopted and foster children that touch our lives
and i am glad to add that our 6th grandchild will be born this spring!!!!

alicia
Regular

Post by alicia » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:47 pm

Stephanie,

Congratulations, and please try not to worry. I had spotting and bleeding up until 7 weeks. Sometimes the blood was bright red and a pretty good amount. I was horrified to such an extent that I decided IVF/FET were just too much for me emotionally and I would never do it again. I did decide to just pay attention to the HCG numbers, which were very good, and ignore the blood as much as I could.

Because of the bleeding, they did early ultrasounds, which looked okay. I am now 25 weeks pregnant with twin boys. I think bleeding is a bit more common with twins, but I hear it can happen in any pregnancy, and often even later in the 2nd trimester.

So good luck for everything, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't mean anything in your case, either.

Alicia
TTC 2.5 years - Me 38 no tubes; DH 32
1st- IVF June 2004 - early MC
2nd - FET Aug 2004 - Twin boys born April 25, 2005!!!

ogr1
Board Veteran

Post by ogr1 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:25 am

Stephanie i was just checking in on you.....
you know usaly there is always some one around....
becky
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter

StefScott

Thanks everyone!

Post by StefScott » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and good thoughts. My spotting worsened over time, but now seems to be getting a bit better. I did get my beta level back and it had doubled, but went in a couple of days later and only showed about a 75% increase. I don't know if that is significant, since they said they wanted to see it double every two days. I do go in again tomorrow for yet another test. I am praying that this one will show a significant increase and help to put my mind at ease. They said we will not know anything for sure until my first u/s on the 7th of February (that is FOREVER away right now, in my mind). I will keep you posted and keep praying for the best. Thanks again for everything!

Stephanie

alicia
Regular

Post by alicia » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:53 pm

Stephanie,

This part is so hard. I hope you can make it through without too much anxiety. I pray that all works out for you and the spotting stops so that you can finally enjoy being pregnant.

Alicia

Sand
Board Veteran

Post by Sand » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Stephanie - I echo Alicia ....

I hope your test tomorrow brings more +ve news, and I can imagine that 7 Feb is an age away. Try to remain positive.

Sandra x

StefScott

Thanks, everyone.

Post by StefScott » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:16 am

Thanks, again to everyone for your well-wishes and advice. Unfortunately, our numbers did not improve, but dropped dramatically. Apparently, the bleeding was me miscarrying. I really tried to stay positive and hoped that the bleeding was just my body adjusting to being pregnant and the hormones, etc., but it just didn't work out that way. I can't describe all the different things I'm feeling...right now I'm just numb. We are going to have a consult with the Dr. on Tuesday to see what the next step is and help us decide what we are willing to do. I want to try again, but I just don't know if I can go through that again. I would much rather get a negative result than to have to endure the ordeal of wondering whether I'm losing it. I will update on what we decide. Until then, I wish all of you the best and hope that things will be nothing but positive for all of you in your efforts. You are a real source of strength for me, and I appreciate everything.

Hugs,
Stephanie

alicia
Regular

Post by alicia » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:42 am

Stephanie,

I am so sorry to hear that. It is a good thing that you will have your followup consultation so quickly. As I'm sure the doctor will tell you, as painful as it is, miscarrying is a very good sign that a future cycle will work. But it is so emotionally difficult, it would make sense to wait a while before another attempt. We waited two months after our miscarriage.

I wish you and DH strength and all the support you need during this difficult time.

Alicia

Sand
Board Veteran

Post by Sand » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:36 am

Stephanie

I am so sorry to read your news Stephanie and I can only imagine what you are going through right now. I think you need to take time out to grieve, before you embark on another cycle. Also, your body needs time to settle down and prepare itself.

As Alcia's said, the good news to come out of this is that the little embi did implant, and therefore there's no reason why it won't happen again. You've got to look at it as there being a reason why this has happened. Embi wasn't sound/strong enough to hang in there, for whatever reason.

I hope your consultation on Tuesday helps a little.

Sandra x

ogr1
Board Veteran

Post by ogr1 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:31 am

my heart aches for you and for what could and should have been..
alot of people dont relise how close that we are to our babies in such a short period of time.. i know for me i was attached as soon as they had my eggs and we watched them grow.
maybe its because we put so much into trying to get pregnant..
but give yourself time to griev..
if there is any questions that i can help you with please ask..
i did post some greaving things on the babies loved and lost....
and please know that you have alot of friends here..
becky