IVF-Infertility.com home

Here's another newbie! :)

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

Here's another newbie! :)

Postby Sophia flamenca » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:30 pm

Hello everybody! :D

I'm, you've guessed already, new to the group and I wished to introduce myself. I'm 28 years old and I live in Montreal with my husband, our dog Daria and our cat, Moïra. Unlike some people here probably, I have known practically from the start that I would not be able to conceive without medical assistance. Here's why in a nutshell.

A third year resident in gynecology gave me a routine check in October 2003 and used a hysterometer to measure my uterus. A hysterometer is, basically, a long metal stick. She went right through and perforated my uterus. Two days later, I was in sceptic shock in the ER with three abscesses the size of a grapefruit and going steady towards heart failure. I've never had any STD, I was simply infected by the normal bacterial flora in my vagina (some of these bacteries are not meant to go beyond the cervix; it's there for a reason!).

A very good gynecologist in Quebec city (go Dr Verrault, go! :lol: ) was able to control the infection with antibiotics and we opted to wait for the surgery. Because of all the adherences created by the now sterile abscesses, however, I was in pain for a couple of years (the condition is called a "frozen pelvis" because of that). We were told that we had to wait until we were ready to have kids for the surgery, as the possible repairs that would be made on my tubes would only last about twelve months if they were not "fixed" by pregnancy hormones.

I went through surgery at the end of April 2006. What remained of the abscesses and the adherences was removed... along with my left tube, which was one of the abscesses itself. We were told that it was one big "block of concrete" in there, and that my right tube had been basically destroyed by the infection in 2003. My gyneco-surgeon sent me right to Procrea clinic for IVF because, to quote him, it would take a miracle for us to conceive naturally. My uterus and ovaries, however, are 100% fine according both to the surgeon and the tests we did at Procrea. My husband's sperm is also very good; no problem there.

So there you go; we are followed by Dr Pierre St-Michel at Procrea clinic (he even started the clinic and has a very good reputation). So far, the service has been admirable; the people are nice and they're not greedy on giving information. We are very lucky, because my husband's insurance plan covers the IVF medication; we only paid $135CAN for the meds (first cycle). I am about to begin my first IVF cycle and I really can't wait. We are very positive, as we were told that in my condition and with Procrea clinic's stats, I have 50% chances to become pregnant with the first trial, and 90% chances with three trials. I also have 25% chances to have twins, which is what we are hoping for (that way, we would not have to go through the stress of the trials twice... even if the first years would be quite hectic with twins, it would still be better than going through IVF again).

I'll stop here and post my other comments elsewhere. It's a pleasure to meet you all, and I wish you a very good day! :P

Sophie
First IVF Dec. 06!

Sophia flamenca

Postby Jovigal » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:29 pm

Sophie, best of luck with your IVF cycle. It's always very exciting to get started. This is a great place to find support and info. Also, you sound very positive, this will greatly influence your chances I truly believe. WELCOME!
Me-37 DH-39
3 IUI's BFNs
1st IVF/ICSI Dec '06 (1 embie)-BFP, m/c 8wks
2nd IVF/ICSI May '07-BFP! It's a GIRL!

Baby Emily Katharine born 2/1/08!!!!
Jovigal
Regular

Postby Sophia flamenca » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:10 am

Hi Jovigal!

Thanks for your words of welcome! Yes, I already know that I've made the right choice by joining here! I might already have a cycle buddy! :p And yes, I'm very positive and I do believe that it will affect my chances. It's indeed very exciting to start, because after all the waiting, it's nice to finally be proactive!

Good night!

Sophie
First IVF Dec. 06!

Sophia flamenca

Return to Introductions