IVF-Infertility.com home

IVF, i am so scared

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

IVF, i am so scared

Postby Kerrie123 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi, my name is Kerrie. My partner and I have been TTC for about 5 years. In this time I have managed to conceive twice, both ending in miscarriage. The last time was in May 06. We live in Lanzarote and so have to fly to Tenerife to see our doctor. I am so scared as in one week, I have gone from my initial consultation, having tests and being advised IVF is our only option. I have so many questions like, how safe is it flying during the treatment, what are the real rates of success etc etc, the same as everyone else I suppose. I had a test this week and they told me I have small ovaries, does this mean there is less chance of us being successful. I have ground things to a halt at the moment as emotionally, I am a wreck. I know nothing about the procedure and I have never met anyone who has gone through this. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
Kerrie123

Postby Dexter » Mon May 05, 2008 12:18 am

Hi there Kerrie,

Welcome to the board. You'll find a lot of support and similar stories here and whenever you have concerns, there is always someone willing to help out and put your mind at ease.

Without sugar coating the whole IVF journey, step up to the mark and embrace what you're about to go through. You will have the opportunity to see your embryos on a screen before they implant them into you and will be very hands on from very early in your future pregnancy. The science of it all is quite miraculous and although success is not always the outcome, it is better to have tried the process than to be left wondering. I for one, didn't find the treatment too bad at all. I didn't have any bad reactions but the worst part indeed was the 2 week wait after treatment had finished and coping with the emotional fall out of a BFN (big fat negative). Finding the strength to try over and over again was challenging and there are times when you might want to hide from the world and ask "why me". It's not easy. I was told from the outset that you need to give IVF a good 6 attempts to work and that usually your numbers will come up in this time. However a friend of mine just got successful on her 14th attempt and is now 14 weeks pregnant. I took 4 attempts but there are many others who hit the jackpot the first time and many others again whose journies are still continuing and/or who have successfully completed the adoption process or donor eggs/sperm. There are options available, it's up to the individual.

Do your research so you know what each step of the IVF process involves and approach it with an open mind. You'll be surprised at just how many people are in a similar situation to you once you begin. I found it easier to be open with my treatment and fertility problems and have the support of my friends and family, however that sometimes backfired too, as friends would assume I was "coping easily" and still sent me their pregnancy ultrasound photos and copied me on all emails containing their pregnancy joys. Each time it was like a stab in the heart and eventually I had to say something. Luckily they were understanding.

Good luck to you and if you ever have any questions, this is the place to ask! There is also a support group over on the general forum that will correspond to the months you are having treatment and you'll find other ladies who will be cycling at the same time as you. It's a really handy support to have.

I believe flying is completely safe during treatmant and once you begin the stimulation drugs your ovaries will grow to produce the maximum amount of follicles which will be monitored regularly to ensure they are at the right size for egg retrieval. All women differ in the amount of eggs they produce and you can never predict the success of an IVF cycle by the numbers. Some get just 2 and fall pregnant, others like me produce 22 and take 4 times. As the old saying goes it's quality not quantity, so don't let any of that bother you.

Dexter
ME 36-Egg quality? FSH 10.4
DH 39 - Perfect!
Unexp IF - TTC 5years
IVF # 1 Jan/Feb 07-BFN
FET # 1April 07-BFN
May 07 -BFP Natural! m/c 6wks
IVF # 2 -BFN Chemical pg Beta 7
6 blasts on ice -
Try # 4 -FET Nov 07 BFP!! Beta 250 15dpo TWINS!!
Dexter
Regular

Postby wishfull27 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi Kerrie

There are quite a few of us just starting treamtnet on awaiting treatment thread - feel free to join us - there is bound to be someone on there who can answer your questions - it will provide you with an amazing amount of support - during my first cycle (which was a BFN) I found the support invaluable - I am about to start cycle number 2 in a couple of weeks

Good luck

carolyn x
IVF 4 BFP
wishfull27
Valued Contributor

Return to Introductions