IVF-Infertility.com home

2nd Failed IVF attempt

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

2nd Failed IVF attempt

Postby deanahar » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:04 am

Today was devistating. This was our second attempt at IVF. The first round we ended up with 2 embies which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We started round two almost right away. This time our doctor changed our protocol a bit. We ended up with a few more follicles and the doctor was convinced egg quality would be better. We were supposed to go this morning for our transfer but we ended up with nothing to put back. Our doctor said he's never had someone end up with nothing and that it only happens in about 1% of patients. Lucky me....We might try for a third time and my lovely sister said she would donate her eggs if needed. I love the thought of having my dna, but I'm not sure how hard that would be for our family and for the child in the future. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for using donor eggs from a sister?
Me 36 DH 37
Tube Removal
1st IVF attempt May=BFN
2nd IVF attempt August=Nothing to transfer
3rd IVF attempt=TBA
deanahar
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:58 am

Sponsor
 

Postby Miracle08 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi Deana,

I am very sorry to hear about your situation.

Well, I am not in the same situation as you, but if needed, I would have no problem using my sisters eggs, or donating to her. I know if you you went through an egg donor it would be very expenisve.

Though this is a very tought decision. I understand your reluctance. Have you thought about going to infertility counseling? That might help you with your decision. What else did your Dr say? Did he say it was useless to try with your own eggs again???
Miracle08
Regular
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Postby deanahar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I really think I need to talk to someone, if it comes down to that. That will not be an easy decision for any of us. We meet with our doctor tomorrow for more details. Hopefully it doesn't come down to donor egges. I think I can only do this one more time before we move to adoption. I don't think emotionally or financially I could do it a fourth time. Our doctor did say he was going to give us back his fees for this round. That should help next time.

Thanks again and good luck!
Me 36 DH 37
Tube Removal
1st IVF attempt May=BFN
2nd IVF attempt August=Nothing to transfer
3rd IVF attempt=TBA
deanahar
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:58 am

Postby JDC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 pm

I also had nothing to transfer for my 1st ivf attempt....I was also devastated. They retrieved 3 eggs, but they all fertilized abnormally. I just finished my 2nd ivf and they retrieved 4 mature eggs and did icsi. We had 2 fair quality embryos to transfer. I'm currently in the 2ww....I would start asking you doctor about specifics - why was there nothing to transfer? Can anything be done to resolve that problem. And honestly, from what my doctor says, eggs will not just improve in quality - there are some good ones and bad ones in there, and hopefully we get lucky and get some good ones at retrieval. I'm 37 and have also thought a lot about using my sister's eggs as she so graciously offered - but I'm still holding out hope for this cycle right now. Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better soon!
me 38 dh 36
mc twins 20wks 2000, ectopic 4/2005
1st ivf May 2008 cancelled before ET
2nd ivf/icsi BFP, mc, D&C 9/8/08
3rd ivf/icsi, BFP, mc, D&C 1/5/09
4th ivf DE, BFP!
JDC
Regular
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:20 pm
Location: Northern NJ

Postby deanahar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 am

JDC,

Thanks and good luck to you as well. I'll find out more next week. :)
Me 36 DH 37
Tube Removal
1st IVF attempt May=BFN
2nd IVF attempt August=Nothing to transfer
3rd IVF attempt=TBA
deanahar
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:58 am

Postby dancingirl76 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:37 pm

I think that if your doctor doesn't think there is much hope for your own eggs... using your sisters would be a great option. If you are at all open to going to adoption then you have already come to terms witht the fact that genetics do not make you a parent. If you were to use her eggs... think about it... you would have part of the genetics of your family and the genetics from your husband, and have the experience of carrying and giving birth. Not to put down adoption at all... because that may end up being an option for my situation... but if I had the chance to have my child be at least part from my family I would go for it. If you went true donor eggs you wouldn't know the background medical history as much... etc.
As with anything there are no guarantees so you just have to sit down and discuss the pros and cons with your husband and family. I don't think your family would treat the child any differently.
TTC since 2002
IVF #1 4-07 2 transferred BFN
Cancelled cycle 6-07
ICF #2 9-07 2 transferred BFN
switch clinics 10-07
IVF #3 12-07 3 transferred BFP
M/C 1-08
IVF #4 ER 8-08 BFN
IVF #5 ER 11-19 BFN
dancingirl76
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:44 pm
Location: Iowa

Postby deanahar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:15 pm

Dacingirl,

Good luck this Saturday. Hope you get a BFP and can celebrate Mother's day in May!!!!! :D

I meet with my doctor on Thursday to discuss our options. My husband talked to him on the phone yesterday. He doesn't think it's an egg issue. My husband is training for an Ironman so they are going to check his sperm again and see if there is a chance it has something to do with him working out all the time. The doctor mentioned that he wanted to wait 6 months before we do another round of IVF. I don't think I can wait that long!! I want to do what will give us our best chance, but that's just such a long time. I'm going to see if he will compromise with 3 months. I think I can handle that after waiting so long.

More to come.....
Me 36 DH 37
Tube Removal
1st IVF attempt May=BFN
2nd IVF attempt August=Nothing to transfer
3rd IVF attempt=TBA
deanahar
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:58 am

Postby NY4thtry » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:35 pm

JDC

Just curious you started herbs 2 month beofre your cycle.. did you keep doing them during the cycle or stop.. and if you stopped when did you stop

I just started taking the herbs against my RE advice
Me 43 dh 65
6 cycles 3 chemicals
13+ banking cycles. 2 failed transfers to Surro
12/9 transfer 2 hatching blasts to surro beta 12/ 15
NY4thtry
Regular
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Postby JDC » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:10 pm

deanabar Just wanted to follow up with you so hopefully you can get hope from my situation......I got my BFP! Remember, I had nothing to transfer my first attempt. There is hope!!!!

NY4thtry Can't remember, but I think I already may have answered the herb question on Aug/Sept buddies, but anyway, Yes I did stop my herbs while stimming. I really thing TCM contributed so much in my BFP. I'm still doing ap now and want to continue through the first trimester. I wish you all the best and I believe you will get you BFP. Have faith.
me 38 dh 36
mc twins 20wks 2000, ectopic 4/2005
1st ivf May 2008 cancelled before ET
2nd ivf/icsi BFP, mc, D&C 9/8/08
3rd ivf/icsi, BFP, mc, D&C 1/5/09
4th ivf DE, BFP!
JDC
Regular
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:20 pm
Location: Northern NJ


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest