IVF-Infertility.com home

Hello from Georgia - Questions about IVF with PGD

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

Hello from Georgia - Questions about IVF with PGD

Postby paulsladynga » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:14 am

Hello Ladies,

I never thought I would find myself on an IVF message board. I am 28 yrs old, hubby 37.

I had a boy in 1998. Being a young, new mom I wasn't overly concerned when he wasn't holding his head up at 6 months. When we took him to the Dr. for a check-up they realized something was wrong. After 4 misdiagnoses my son was finally diagnosed with Fragile-X syndrome. FSX is a disorder that causes forms of mental retardation ranging from mild to severe. My son is now 7 years old and has a mental capacity of 2 1/2 - 3 years.

I didn't think that Fragile-X was something that I passed onto my son. (Being a bitter divorcee I of course blamed it on my X-Husband. :D

I remarried and became pregant on our first try. At my OB appointment I was asked the usual 5000 questions and learned that I should be tested for Fragile-X. Must to my disappointment I found that I was a carrier and was referred for CVS testing. We were devistated to find that the baby I was carrying was affected and shortly terminated. This happened twice in 8 months.

So here I am preparing for IVF. We are scheduled for our consulation in 6 weeks. I am fertile, but cannot have healthy boys. Does anyone know how this will affect our chances of concieving with IVF and PGD (to element the chances of me passing on my bad gene)? At $20,000 a try I'm looking for a piece of mind.
paulsladynga

Postby journey » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:19 pm

Hello and welcome! Wow what a journey you have been on already! You have to be a strong person!! Best wishes with IVF and I wish I could give you more advice. Go to the general forum and get great support also! I am doing invitro JAN/FEB also. Best of luck!! :)

Journey :D
I am 25 years old
Married in Feb 06 for 6 yrs
Trying for 3 yrs
Had surgery for endometriosis and have only one tube but its messed up from endometriosis
Had two IUI's no luck
Starting IVF
journey

Postby Jen1d » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:06 pm

:lol: Welcome Paulsladynga, thats a mouthfull eh?

Good luck to you after all the heartache you have been through.

I'm about to start my 2nd cycle of ivf in Feb.

Join us in the forum for a chat

Love jen x
me 38 dh 38, ttc for 6yrs,
HSG - Tubes Damaged
Bilateral Salpingectomy, 16th Aug 06,
Hysteroscopy - 30th Oct 07
4 IVF - BFN, 3 ED - BFN
Jen1d
Valued Contributor

Return to Introductions