IVF-Infertility.com home

New and needing advice

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

New and needing advice

Postby Sonix » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi everyone,

Found this site a few days ago whilst searching for information on ivf and it's so good to know I'm not alone out here. Hope someone can give advice.

We (me 39, DH 40) have been ttc for 4 years and have unexplained infertility. Tried IUI 3 times end 2005, begin 2006 and were advised to go straight on to IVF. I thought I was just going to sail through the treatment but have just had to abandon the 1st cycle. No follicles after stimming for 12 days.

Next appt is for a scan on day 1-3 of next cycle. (Thought you had to wait at least 1 cycle inbetween IVF rounds) DR wants to try something else this time. Can't help wondering what that could be and whether next cycle could be missed/delayed in arriving following treatment???

Trying to stay positive ... good luck to you all.

Son
Sonix
Regular

Postby bobs » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:04 am

Hi Sonix, welcome to this site, im sure you will find it very interesting seeing that you are not alone! lol
So sorry to hear about your poor response on your first cycle.
I think it all depends on individual clinics as to when to start your next cycle.My clinic prefer to wait until you have had 1-2 af's in order for your body to get back to normal. If you do not feel ready to go again straight away then maybe discuss this with your clinic,i'm sure it wouldnt make any difference to them.
Maybe the different thing your dr wants to try could be different medications?
Good luck at your follow up appointment + with your next treatment.Keep me posted as i would love to hear how you are getting on.
Love bobs xx
Me 32,DH 39.Ttc 5yrs.Male factor
1st + 2nd attempt ICSI - June/Oct.. both -ve
3rd + 4thattempt ICSI.April /Oct'05..abandoned
5th attempt ICSI.. May/June '06..Last attempt + abandoned due to severe Ohss
2008/2009 Now in the process of Adoption :)
bobs

Postby Macca8 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:58 am

Son,

I had poor response on my first IVF. I did pick up slightly at the end of the stimming but they wanted to cancel the treatment but I wouldn't let them and went through with it and became pregnant. The reason it was low for me was because my body did not take well to been down regulated and then stimualted. Were you down regulated first??? Maybe you will be like me and many others that don't take. Maybe your doctor will try just stimulating on a short protocol and maybe change the drugs.
Don't give up yet. The first one can be the toughest and just because you body did that once definitely does not mean it will again. Every cycle we have are different depending on our FSH and Oestrogen levels, depends on how we react to the drugs.

Keep your spirits up and be positive and believe in yourself.

Lisa xx
Me 37, DH 51
Twin Boys - Sean Alexander & Samuel Robert
Macca8
Regular

Postby Sonix » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot, Bobs and Lisa, for your posts and for reassuring me. I suppose I just wasn't prepared for a no-response result.

I do just want to get started and over the first stage so I'd rather not have to wait. Apart from that, the 50% refund you get on treatment here in Germany is only valid for me until begin. June (age factor) But I'm a bit worried that the next round of treatment could clash with a buisness trip I'm supposed to be planning in April. I desperately do not want to have to tell my boss that I'm having treatment...

Actually I wasn't down regulated, didn't have to go for any tests/scans beforehand and just went straight on to stimulating on the 3rd day of cycle. Anyway I'm sure DR will have a clearer picture after the scan and blood test on next appointment (if AF is not delayed that could be around 20th March) Planning to ask more questions too.

Bobs, I see you'll be starting the next round March/April too. Good luck!! What about you, Lisa? I'll keep you posted.

Love Son x
Sonix
Regular

Postby floss » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:22 am

Hi,

My first cycle was cancelled for the same reason as you and after gearing myself up to at least have a shot at being pregnant it was very upsetting to be stopped midway. Many gallons of alcohol later I decided to change my mindset for the next cycle, which I went straight onto without a break, and decided that if I could just get to the egg retrieval stage next time that I would be happy ie just celebrate getting over one hurdle at a time, rather than just looking at the end goal. Afterall, they do not know what is going to work for you and your cancelled cycle gives the doctors the info to do better next time. In any case, they upped the dose of stimulant for me the next cycle, I still only produced 5 eggs (average is around 12 for my age) and only 4 were fertilized....but, I was preganant with my first transfer and now have a 16 month old son and am 22 weeks pregnant again with my first frozen transfer.

Just take it one step at a time and celebrate achieveing each hurdle rather that getting to bogged down when things don't go to plan. I know this is hard but it helps to stay positive rather than focusing on the negatives. Alcohol is also helpful!!!
floss

Return to Introductions