IVF-Infertility.com home

Too Fat???

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

Too Fat???

Postby ozipom » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:49 am

Hi,
After almost four years of TTC my hubby and I are about to embark on IVF. I am absolutely terrified. We have had an ectopic and 2 miscarriages, ironically all conceived naturally!!! I am just so worried that this will all be an emotional rollercoaster that I am not strong enough to deal with. I know that I need to be more positive. I am seriously overweight, are their any tubbies out there who have had success with IVF???
ozipom

Postby PebblesUK » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:48 pm

Hello,

I was/am a tubby! I lost over 3.5 stone (53+ lbs) last year so we could go through with ivf. Although when the time came I was still overweight with a BMI of 31.4 and the clinics like you to be under 30.

I found it difficult to find a clinic who would actually do ivf with a bmi of over 30. You are at increased risk of complications during pregnancy if you are overweight. You are more inclined to get pre-eclampsia and problems with your blood pressure etc. I'm diabetic so I'm at risk anyway!

Saying all that, I'm 3.5 stone lighter than I was when I conceived my 3 year old daughter (I conceived naturally with her) and I didn't have any problems during the pregnancy.

Even if you started your treatment tomorrow you still have approximately 6 weeks until EC so it's never too late to start trying to lose a few more pounds. Ask yourself if you what you want more, I know sometimes the biscuit wins!!

Best of luck

Jo
xx
Me 35 DH 37 1st IVF ET 27 June - BFP!!!!
Ellie was born on 11 December 2006, 14 weeks early!

PebblesUK
Regular

Postby Xrayem » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:15 am

Hi,

Just saw you were from NSW and thought I'd direct you over to the General forum. We have a thread called Aussies and Kiwis and its a great bunch. Its nice being able to speak the same "language" - most of the other girls here are from the UK and the USA and the tmt regimes are a little different from Oz.

I'm from Bris-vegas myself and have been ttc for 5 years. We have unexplained infertility which is frustrating :evil: Like yourself, I struggle with my weight due to an underactive thyroid. I have lost 12kg in the past 2 years to try and help my chances. It wasn't easy but I'm glad I did it.

I am still over weight but I am back to a 14-16 (I was a 18-20!) and to be honest I find the drugs make me gain weight as well. But have a look around at all the larger ladies out there who have babies! Look at the USA!

They say that the reason obesity affects fertility is that if you are overweight (or underweight!) your body affects your ovulation. If tests have shown that you are ovulating normally, then don't stress too much. Having said that loosing a little weight will make things easier.

I wish you well and hope that you come over and see us in the general forum.

Em
TTC 5yrs - Unexplained Infertility
3xIUI's (April, June & Aug 06) - BFN,s
1st IVF - Oct 06 - Jasper & Finlay born 07/06/07
Natural preg - Addison Grace born 15/10/08
Xrayem
Regular

Postby ozipom » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:33 am

Hi,

I just wanted to say Thanks to Em and Jo for taking the time to respond.

Cheers : )
ozipom

Return to Introductions