IVF-Infertility.com home

18 and a bit scared

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

18 and a bit scared

Postby Thorn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi, my names thorn
I just found out that i have PCOS and i'm only 18. I'm not trying to have children right now but i know i want them when i'm older and now i'm so afraid i wont beable to have them. Right now my doctors just trowing things like, Ovarian Cancer, Cists, and difficult Conception at me and i'm getting really scared. I could really use some support and advice. If you have any i would love to hear from you, please.
Greatfully yours
Thorn
Thorn

Postby terri1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi Thorn

Well it sounds like your doctors have done a good job scaring the crap out of you!

It is good that you are young but you are still thinking ahead because you know you will probably want kids one day. My advice is read up on this condition as it doesn't mean you won't have children, there are many of us here with pcos who are now pregnant or have children. It can mean getting pregnant is harder or takes longer, sometimes you will need help. I got pregnant with hormone injections but we managed to get there naturally rather than having IVF. Some pcos sufferers get pregnant with no help at all, some have IVF or other treatment.

As I am sure you have seen in the news, fertility decreases with age so try not to leave it too late.........time is cetainly on your side at the moment. We waited until we had bought a house etc. and felt financially secure and looking back I think we should have started trying earlier. There is never a perfect time to have a baby.

As for all the other problems that come with pcos, I don't think theres a huge risk but I think our risk of other things is just increased. I try to be careful with my diet and keep my weight down to decrease the chances of me developing diabetes.

there is so much information about pcos and so much I don't know myself I'm sure so I recommend you get a good book on it. When you understand it all better, you will feel less worried about it. I was actually relieved to find out this was my diagnosis because I was so afraid that the problem would be more serious. I'm sure not everyone feels the same as I did but I just knew that my sister had it and she has 2 children so I felt there was hope for me.

love terri
PCOS
TTC 2.5 years
BFP April 2006
terri1

Postby cheekymonkey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:23 pm

Hi Thorn,

I too have PCOS and I have found that the symptoms people have are different for everyone!
I am currently having IVF as I have been trying to concieve for three years but I knew that I had PCOS before we started trying because I don't have periods and so I was diagnosed earlier on!
There is a very good book that I have found extremely helpful and it tells you all about what kind of diet is good for you and things that you should or should not eat, I am not over weight but I do struggle to try and stay that way, this book helps loads because it explains why certain foods are bad and if you are able to follow the book it can help reduce some of the symptoms! It is called "PCOS Diet Book" and it is by "Theresa Francis-Chung and Colette Harris"
I know there are other books around but I just thought if you are not actually trying to concieve then adapting your diet to help reduce your symptoms may be something you are able to do to help you now.
I hope that you are able to find all the help and advice you need, but it sounds like your doctor is not very helpful so maybe try other places like the family planning or the internet! There are many websites about PCOS so maybe try those too.
Good Luck with everything, if there is anything else you want to ask then please feel free.
Take Care

Cheeky Monkey :D
Me 27 PCOS DH 28 TTC 5 years
6 clomid 03-04 -BFN /
3 IUI's 05 - 2 Cnx & 1 BFN
1st IVF 06 - Cnx (OHSS)
2nd IVF 06 - Freeze All
1st FET 07 - BFP - M/C 5wks
2nd FET 07 - BFN
3rd IVF 07 - Freeze All
3rd FET 08 - BFN
cheekymonkey