IVF-Infertility.com home

2nd Cycle of IVF, Day 5, Age 39

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

2nd Cycle of IVF, Day 5, Age 39

Postby femmefatale » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Hi everyone, I'm on my second cycle of IVF, and am now on Day 5 after the transfer. I've ended up going down the IVF route after suffering a heteroptopic pregnancy (where there's a pregnancy in both the womb and the tube) a few years ago. It took me a long time to get over both physically and emotionally, and I finally plucked up courage to begin IVF in March this year. I wish I'd started earlier, as I'm now 39. I have a cyst on my right ovary which they tried to remove in January, but decided to leave so that it would increase my egg-producing chances. Touch wood the dodgy ovary still works, although I don't seem to produce that many follicles. On my first cycle they collected 7 eggs, 4 of which fertilised. They put back 2, one of which was regarded as doing well at 7 cells, but the other 2 didn't make it to blastocyst stage. The grade was also average, 2/3 out of 4 where 4 is the best. This time I had fewer embryos but the grade was better, 3/4 out of 4 where 4 is the best. They collected 6 eggs (2 follicles were empty), and 3 fertilised. I had the transfer on Day 3 and 2 had divided to 4 cells, with the third embryo slightly behind at 3 cells. I was pleased that they were a better grade but disappointed when they said that ideally they should be at 6 cells by Day 3. They did say that they may just be because it was early in the day. This morning I checked on the progress of the third embryo and was told that it wasn't suitable to thaw as it stopped dividing. They have tried to encourage me by reminding me that the two they put back were more developed, but on their website they say that if a retained/leftover embryo doesn't make it to blastocyst stage it is likely that the earlier transferred embryos won't either. I don't know what to think, and I know the true answer is that there's no way of knowing. However, if there's anyone out there who's been in a similar situation and has managed to get pregnant during a cycle despite the fact that the retained/leftover embryo(s) didn't make it to blastocyst stage, it would be an enormous comfort to me. Thanks so much for listening, love Mel x
femmefatale

Postby Welshgirl38 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:05 pm

Hi Mel:

First off id like to say that personally i dont have the anwsers u are looking for - but, i know of ladies who do :D
There are a few on this message board (Try the General Forum) who have had BFP's with 2cell embryos (on a day 3 like u) with a grading of 2 and 3 (1 being best, so not great grading either) now they are expecting twins. Granted, it doesnt always work, u have to know that - all im saying is that IT CAN WORK :D

I had 2 embryos put back one a cell 2 grade 3 and the other cell 2 and a grade 2, sadley they didnt decide to stick around and see what the fuss is all about, but just knowing that it can happen helped me thru the 2ww.

Read some of the stories on the general forum - there are lots of ladies pregnant there, its really encouraging to hear how they got where they are, they are really suportive with each other - if u need to vent off, laff, scream or cry - we are here ...

What u need now young lady - is PMA :D :D :D beleive in urself, and beleive in ur embies, they need u right now :D

Good Luck - See u on the other side :wink:

Becky Xxxx

1 IVF=BFN 2 IVF=BFN 3 IVF=BFP :) m/c @ 8 wks :( 4 IVF=BFN
We must now let go of the life we had planned, to live the life waiting for us..

Adoption course starts March 19th
Welshgirl38
Valued Contributor

hi

Postby kdc2006 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:55 pm

femmefatale.....

hi...

i had 7 embryos in total..... 6 fertilised..... on the day of my transfer i had 2 4 cell embryos(both grade 1...being best) transferred....the other 4 embryos were no suitable for freezing!!!!
thankfully my 1st go worked and im now pregnant with twins....
so yes...it can work!!!!!

good luck...
kareen
me 33 dp 29
cyst removed 1996
abnormal cells treated 1998 CIN3
endometriosis&tube damage since

kdc2006
Regular

Postby Welshgirl38 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Hey Kareen :D

Hiya hun, hows u? How are the wee ones (mind u, they dont look so wee in photobucket lol) Hope ur all well ....

Xxxx

1 IVF=BFN 2 IVF=BFN 3 IVF=BFP :) m/c @ 8 wks :( 4 IVF=BFN
We must now let go of the life we had planned, to live the life waiting for us..

Adoption course starts March 19th
Welshgirl38
Valued Contributor

Return to Introductions