OCT / NOV / DEC 2008 Buddies

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.
JDC
Regular

Post by JDC » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:13 am

Good morning to everyone!
Karen Can't wait to hear how your u/s went. Grow follies grow!!! I'm also glad to hear you are feeling so great (bitchy and headachy!) :wink:

to_have_fun Thanks once again for creating the list for us....it makes it so much easier to keep track of everyone. I just took a peek at our old list on Aug/Sept thread and was saddened by so many frownies. It seemed like we were off to such a good start.

adjec Hope your are feeling some serenity during that 2ww! That beautiful embie is getting comfy in there and snuggling in tight. Last cycle the first 3 days of the 2ww were extremely difficult.....could not concentrate on work or anything except my little one. That is okay because that little one is the most important thing in the world! Good luck to you.

To everyone I missed....hope all is well and positive. :)

For me.....My AP told me on Thurs. that she wanted me to wait at least an additional AF (an extra month) before doing IVF. But it turns out, she is going away for 2 wks at Christmas, so she would not be avaible to do AP at transfer which is VERY important to me. ( It worked last time!) Anyway, so if I did wait, it would put my cycle into January. DH does not want me to wait, he thinks it is fine as long as my RE says it is. In a way I feel it would be good for my chances to wait, but I do not want to wait until January! Our tentative decision is to go ahead for Nov., but I feel kind of weird like I'm selfishly rushing the process. :?:
me 38 dh 36
mc twins 20wks 2000, ectopic 4/2005
1st ivf May 2008 cancelled before ET
2nd ivf/icsi BFP, mc, D&C 9/8/08
3rd ivf/icsi, BFP, mc, D&C 1/5/09
4th ivf DE, BFP!

Sponsor

to_have_fun08
Valued Contributor

Post by to_have_fun08 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Image I just hate it when I start to type a really long post and then hit the wrong key and lose everything. Here I will try it again.

JDC - I was also just thinking about pushing back my cycle and maybe changing RE but like you, I don't want to wait any longer. I am so close to this cycle starting and if I did move to this new RE then he has at least a 3 month wait. I just don't want to wait that long. Plus, then I would have to redo all my test and I also don't want to do that. I know it just sounds like I am impatient but if someone could tell me that "yes, you will definatly get PG if you switched RE's", then i would be all for the wait. Seeing that the odds arn't that much greater i am going to take the chance with my current RE and stay with my current schedule.

JennLB25 - Hope you are feeling better after your surgery. I can't believe the people you work with are so insensitive, I know that doesn't make your IVF process any easier.

NY4thtry - How are you doing?

wickedwheel - Welcome to the board. It is always nice to see ladies who have conceived through IVF before.

Lady_J & dagnytaggart - Looks like we might be in the 2ww together. I should also be having ER the week of Nov 17th.

adjec - You are done with 1 week of the 2ww, hang in there. I also tried to watch "A baby story" when I was on vacation. I watch a few minutes and turned it off just because it was making me depressed.

babyhope1 - I just started taking a vitamin b complex a couple of weeks ago, it has a ton of b-6, b-9 and b-12 plus whatever else they throw in. Don't know if it will help getting PG but I will try almost anything right now. So are you going to have to take the vitamins throughout your whole pregnancy are just maybe the first trimester?

sloan - Can't wait to hear how ER went.

wonderence - how are stims going? When is your u/s & b/w. I know your feeling about not getting excited because you don't want to be let down. My last cycle I was worried all the time that I might get canceled again. Those were really sweet words to hear when I was told that I could actually trigger and set up for ER. Wishing you the best of luck.

robin611 - You are now on stims. YEAH!!!! One step closer to being PG.

Kas - What are you doing to keep yourself busy? I would love to say it would be great not to work but I think I might eventually go nuts. At least you are in a new town and can explore the things that they have there.

Well, I know I have missed a whole lot of people but I have to get off of this darn computer. Hope everyone is doing good and I am so glad that we have this board and i can share all my hopes and fears with all of you great ladies.

Chris
Chris 40- DH 41
6 IVFs Cycles - BFN's
DE Cycle 2/2011 -BFP Jacob born 11/11/11

FET 7/2012 - BFP - Kaylee due 4/3/13

ImageImage

wonderce
Regular

Post by wonderce » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:25 pm

Chris, it's good to know I'm not alone with my reservations about getting excited. I went for a scan and bloodwork yesterday and will go again tomorrow morning. It's so hard waiting to hear if I will actually make it to ER! I still have 9 follies and 8 resting. I guess they could continue to grow too but not sure if they'll make it to the mature stage. My estradiol was 1194 and progesterone was .38. I wish I knew what all of these numbers meant. Any suggestions on good websites that post this sort of info? It sounds like you and JDC were thinking of changing RE's. I'm sure that's a hard decision since the new one has such a long wait. How long have you gone to your current one? Oh, and thanks so much to you and Karen for offering to keep updating everyone's info. That must be a lot to keep up with, but is really nice to see where we all are on this board.

adjec, wishing you continued positive thoughts through your 2ww. I'm hoping to be waiting with you after this week! Oh, and I love A Baby Story, Bringing Home Baby, and Deliver Me. I don't know why I put myself through such torture. : )

sloan, keep us posted on your ER. Hoping it all went great!

JDC, I can't blame you for not wanting to wait until January. Even just a month seems like a year when waiting to start AF before a new cycle. At least November is right around the corner.

So has anyone ever done ICSI? My RE is suggesting we do it even though DH's swimmers are just fine. I'm just curious how everyone else feels about it. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

sloan88

Post by sloan88 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Hello all -
had ER this morning. It wasn't that bad for me... the worst part was getting the IV into my arm - I have stubborn veins and it hurts... the rest I don't remember.... thankfully!

So I had 11 eggs!! :) more than I expected. I'm really happy about that although I assume not all of them were mature or they would have shown up before now....

anyway - feeling a big drowsy. my fingers are crossed for good news tomorrow.... I don't have that much pain just light cramps - probably because my egg number is pretty moderate.

thanks for thinking of me!
Me 38 DH 41 Unexplained
TTC naturally for 1 yr.
polyp removed March 08
starting IVF October 2008!
BFP!!! 11/2 Beta 166, 11/10 Beta 6100

Kas101
Regular

Post by Kas101 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey Ladies,

Well as usual its football sunday so i have way too much time to trawl the boards and make myself crazy over my IVF obsession!!!

Wonderce I have mixed feelings over ICSI..... It should be used when there is a problem with DH - theres no reason for it otherwise!!! I personally feel i got 'ripped off' with my last cycle as DH has excellent swimmers, and yet before ER my clinic made me sign a form to authorise ICSI and give them a check for $1500 for ICSI. When i questioned this they said it was standard procedure 'just in case something happens on the day'. DH made a bet with me that they would do ICSI now, regardless, and guess what? He was right. They said 'oh yeah by the way we did ICSI as his count was low that day'. HMMM never been low EVER before, so i cant help but wonder if it was a way to suck more money out of us...... As far as the numbers, i seem to remember that each egg needs a 150-200 estradiol count to be fully mature but i'm afraid i dont know a website to substantiate that.

to_have_fun08
Valued Contributor

Post by to_have_fun08 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:39 pm

wonderance - Sounds like you have a good # of follies and your E2 level sounds good. I don't know about the progesterone level. My RE never checks that. In my opinion, I think it is safe to say you will make it to ER so I wouldn't worry too much. As far as ICSI, I had 6 mature eggs after retrival. We did 3 eggs ICSI and 3 eggs natural fertilization. We did half n half because we have unexplained infertility. In the end at ET I had 3 eggs left 1 was naturally fertilized the other 2 were ICSI. I still can't really detemine if ICSI helped at all. The RE did say that it seemed that DH's swimmers did their job. Of the 3 eggs that didn't make it, 1 of the natural eggs were abnormal and then my other 2 eggs just didn't fertilize. I don't know what we will be doing next cycle. Some ways I don't mind doing ICSI because I think it gives the eggs more of a chance to fertilize. I also have heard that the small whole put in the egg to put the sperm in kind of helps the eggs to hatch. I don't know if this has been proven or not. Maybe asked Ghost what his experience is with ICSI if there is no male problem.

Sloan - 11 eggs is a great #. Get some rest and let us know your Fert report tomorrow. Congrats!!!!

Kas - I also have too much time on my hands seeing that DH is watching Nascar. i don't mind nascar but it gets boring after awhile. usually this is my nap time.
Chris 40- DH 41
6 IVFs Cycles - BFN's
DE Cycle 2/2011 -BFP Jacob born 11/11/11

FET 7/2012 - BFP - Kaylee due 4/3/13

ImageImage

JDC
Regular

Post by JDC » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Sloan Congrats on 11 eggies!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you good fert report.

Wonderce It is also my understanding that you need a level of approximately 200 estradoil per mature egg. This is based only on what my clinic has told me.
As far as icsi....My DH's swimmers are just fine, so we did not do icsi my first cycle, and all of my eggs fertilized abnormally and we had nothing to transfer. Based on that, my RE recommended icsi for the second cycle. That time out of 4 mature eggs, 2 fertilized and were transferred back (I did get preggers). So, honestly, I wish we had done icsi the first time around. I think my situation was somewhat unusual though.

to_have_fun It is a tough choice, but I am going ahead with the Nov. cycle....who knows, my transfer may fall on a weekend and my AP may not be available then either....... Are you unhappy with your RE, or just looking for a change?

Well, I have a saline sonogram tomorrow...hoping everything will look good in there since I had the d&c.
me 38 dh 36
4th ivf DE, BFP!

wonderce
Regular

Post by wonderce » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Kas, Chris, and JDC, thanks for your comments on the ICSI. It's definitely something we are still up in the air about. They put it in our total cost so we've paid for it, but we were told they would refund that amount if we decide we don't want to do it. I'm just worried that we finally get this far and then for some reason the eggs won't fertilize naturally. I've read some info about ICSI and potential risks with embryos too, but I think they are rare and minimal. DH and I will have a 3 1/2 hour drive to the IVF clinic so maybe we can make up our minds once we go for ER. Your input definitely helps though. Is Ghost on this board?

karenvancouverisland
Regular

Post by karenvancouverisland » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:22 pm

hi ladies, well first u/s went GOOD (for my 'low responder' standards).

i have 7 follies measuring within 9-12 (8, 9, 9, 11, 11, 12, 12). - those are the best #'s i've EVER had!! i dunno if it was the DHEA, starting on day 3 (vs. day 4 last time), or having been PG before...who knows! or maybe a combo of all.

i was nervous sick. my dh looked terrified. the RE said- 'you beat the odds before, so why not again' (got PG with only 2 mature follies last cycle). it's great they are in the same size range- good sign. RE's pleased.

i'm VERY happy and HOPEFUL. i'm continuing on the gonal F, go back from u/s on tues, then possibly add in cetrotide and luveris.

fingers crossed!!!!!!

jdc- good to trust your gut with the decision on nov start..sometimes it's not just our impatience, it's also our instincts too. we'll support you either way.

sloan- way to go with 11 eggs! awesome odds your going in with.

wonder-on the ICSI topic, we do ICSI as dh has poor morphology (4% good), but our RE says that it's entirely possible that our only issue is my eggs, cause 4% of sperm being ok is still like 'a lot of sperm'. so they left the ICSI decision up to us, advising that 'it'd be a shame to not do ICSI when you finally produce good eggs' - so we went ahead and did it last cycle, and will do it again. we only had 2 big eggs, and both fertilized with icsi.

hello also to chris, robin, NY, melo, babyhope, much hope, kas, jenn, and everyone else out there that i missed... WOOOHOOOO!! i'm happy right now.
38 yrs. DOR, TTC since '04, recommended DE but didn't listen
3 IVF's & 1 FET: 1 cancellation, 1 m/c @ 12 wks, 1 chemical, 1 miracle boy & miracle 'natural' PG right now while waiting to cycle (WTF?)
feb 21 hb 154

NY4thtry
Regular

Post by NY4thtry » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi all,

wells stims start tomorrow.. i feel awful due to the dexamethopsoson..

bloated stoamch issues etc.. and feeling awful..

On another note.. DH and i well have not ... you know.. since before my antibotic treatment.. i think he is afraid something could infect me again.. but i know we need to at least a time or two before he has to give his sample.. not sure how to go about it.. a bit awkward....

Pardon me for not doing personals on everyone but i will try and answer topics..

ICSI.. let the embryologists decide.. there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it from wht i understand

Karen sounds like results are good!! yeah for you

Sloane 11 is a good number all you need is 1!!!

Baby dust to everyone
Me 43 dh 65
6 cycles 3 chemicals
13+ banking cycles. 2 failed transfers to Surro
12/9 transfer 2 hatching blasts to surro beta 12/ 15

JDC
Regular

Post by JDC » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:00 am

KarenOMG!!! :D Wow, you have a great number of follies all in a good size range. I'm so happy for you!!! Grow, grow, grow!
me 38 dh 36
4th ivf DE, BFP!

ajdec
Regular

Post by ajdec » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:44 am

Congrats on your 11 sloan!!! Rest up so you are all ready for transfer!!!

I'm definitely losing a lot of my PMA from last week. :-( Although I think it has more to do with it just being a long and tiring weekend. At least that is what DH things. Just wishing I felt more...PG....just don't feel like I am having many symptoms except for a occassional cramping/tugging feeling in my tummy. So of course that is making me feel more negative. I'm trying to stay positive...just struggling today. Going back to the ER tomorrow more blood work.

Thanks for listening all...just needed a little vent...

Night... AJ

bell-02

Post by bell-02 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:59 am

Karen, congratulations on all of your lovely follies!! I feel so good about this cycle for you!
Sloan, great news on your eggs! Keep us updated.

Ajdec, try to stay positive. And try not to read too much into your symptoms, or lack of symptoms. I've read so many stories of women who had no symptoms and ened up being pregnant. Every woman is different, just take care of yourself and keep your chin up.
Me=31 DH=38
Male Factor
IVF#1 June 2008 transferred 2, froze 9=BFN
FET August 2008, transferred 2=BFN
FET November 2008, 4 embryos didn't make it through the unthawing process so transferred 1=BFN
Fresh IVF cycle planned for June 2009

wickedwheel

Post by wickedwheel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 am

Hi everyone

Just a quick post (still getting to grips with names and where everyone is at).

karen - those are great numbers (well done fellow low responder!)

sloan - 11 is awesome, well done you!

I went for a bloodtest today and waiting to hear from the clinic when the next bloodwork is needed and expecting to have an u/s later in the week.

Hope you are all doing okay - sending positive thoughts to all you inspirational girls! Keep up the good work everyone. :D

wicked

ER scheduled - 28 Oct

natashamom
Regular

Hi!

Post by natashamom » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:20 am

Hello,

I`m starting ivf in December,it`ll be with 2 embies donated to us from a 24y.o egg donor,so excited!!

I pray it`ll work first time and pray for all of you ladies for success.

Natasha.

oh by the way I`m a young 46y.o and hubby 52.