natural miscarriage or D&C - ghost or anyone

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.
Post Reply
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 pm
Location: Ireland

natural miscarriage or D&C - ghost or anyone

Post by joyanna » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:49 pm


I am 9 weeks pregnant and had a scan yesterday and unfortunatley there was no heartbeat. We are so sad.

my doctor wants me to wait 2 weeks to see if a full natural miscarriage happens. If not, then she will send me for a d&c.

I would like to ask anyone who has been through this to let me know what they think I should do. I am finding it very difficult waiting to miscarry and so far there is no sign of bleeding or cramping. I have been off the meds 24 hours now.

How long does it take to get an AF after a natural miscarriage or D&C.

Ghost - what does your clinic recommend? Also, how long do you think I should wait before starting another cycle?


Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Post by chenry4413 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Sorry, I'm not ghost but I just wanted to give my 2 cents. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had a few m/c and my Dr. did D&C for all except for one where I was bleeding anyway. I was around 9 weeks for one of them. In my experience, I prefer the D&C both for emotional and physical reasons. D&C might be rougher on the body though so maybe that's why they wait. My Dr. did the procedures the very next day so it doesn't seem fair that they want to make you wait 2 weeks. Maybe Ghost has a diffferent and more informed response.
Me: 39
DH: 39
4 consecutive miscarriages:-(
IVF #1: 8/08 with PGD-BFN
IVF#2: 10/08 (doing CHG)

Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Post by lynniecat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:51 pm

Not Ghost either --

But I also prefer the D&C. I feel it cleans you out and is much easier emotionally then waiting! Good luck with your decision and I hope you are back in a health pregnancy soon! I guess another reason for D&C in my mind is to be able to start to TTC again, but of course timing for another TTC attempt is a very personal choice.

I hope this works out as best as possible for you going forward from this point. I am so very sorry for your loss, I know how hard this must be for you!
Me: 44 severely reduced reserve
DH: 44 perfect
IVF 1: Feb 08 -BFP twins (lost one at 7 weeks, one at 13 weeks) :-(
IVF 2: June 08 -BFN :-(
IVF 3: September 08 -BFN :-(
IVF 4: November 08 - Katherine Emma born 8/9/2009 :D

Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:43 am
Location: Essex

Post by Kate21 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:58 pm


Just thought I'd let you know that I waited for a natural m/c rather than a D & C. My clinic advised me to wait 2wks and that things would happen towards the end of those 2wks.

I couldn't face putting my body through anymore stress and thought the best thing was for it to happen naturally. I started bleeding like they said at the end of the 2 wks, very lightly to begin with and then about 4-5 days later I actually m/c. I won't lie it was extremely painful but I am glad I did it the way I did, you've just got to do what is right for you, everyone is different.

PM me if you want to ask anything. Hope this helps?

Me 35 DH 44 unexplained infertility
3# IVF all BFN
3# FET all BFN 4# BFP - no heartbeat @7wks - about to start the journey again!!

Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Post by kerpupples » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 pm

There is a risk of scarring from a D&C which can interfere with future pregnancies. In my case I had a history of scarring (not D&C related) so my RE recommended using misoprostol to induce the M/C. That is what we did. It was over within 1/2 day and I was able to use Percocet to combat the pain somewhat.
Me: 39 DH: 41 Male Factor
3yo DD from FET
IVF PGD clinical trial, FET Jan 2012 Beta 1/14 447, Beta 1/16 1161 U/S 1/30 it's twins!
Graham and Audrey born 9/5/12. 37w4d, no NICU time!

Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:07 pm
Location: NY

Post by amysbabies » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm sorry for your loss..I know how sad and emotional this time is.. I had a D&C for my last miscarriage and it was a lot easier and faster emotionally and physically to get over the miscarriage.. I had mine about 4 days after I found out about the loss.

Of course there are risks of scarring and infection, but I think those risks are very small. Unfortunately in some cases, as in mine.. the d&c didn't completely work.. so I had to take a methotrexate shot to clean out whatever was left over and eliminate the chance of ectopic because my beta was going up and down at around 700.

I had the d&c on 8/7 and the metho shot on 8/28 and I had some light AF like bleedings twice in between with some mild cramping, but no real full blown AF as of yet.
IVF1: BFP 02/08 - Chemical 4 wks.
IVF2: BFP 06/08 - Miscarriage 6 wks.
IVF3: BFP 11/09 - Chemical
IVF4: dec/jan Dear Lord..please let this be the one.

Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Post by hopinginpa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:21 pm

I too opted for a D&C. I was 11 weeks when we found out there wasn't a HB. I did wait another week to see if they had miscalculated my due date. It was a natural pregnancy.
I got AF 4 weeks later. My body bounced back fast. My doctor had said I needed to wait 3 months before trying again but that was ONLY for emotional reasons.
Good luck and sorry to hear about your loss.
Me-35 DH-35
m/c 12wk 1/06
m/c 9/06
IVF #1 10/07-Chemical
FET #1 2/08-BFN
Natural BPF turned to BFN 4/08
IVF #2 no mature eggs
IVF # 3- ER 7/23
ET 7/26
IVF #4-January 2009 BFN
IVF #5-May/June BFP beta 11dp3dt 90

Hopeful in SD
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Post by Hopeful in SD » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 am

Hi Joyanna, I'm so sorry to hear your news. I just went through this two weeks ago and had to make the same decision. I wanted to do the D & C, as it is the quickest but couldn't get in for an appointment at my clinic or OBGYN for a week. Both suggested I take the misoprostol, like kerpupples did. I am not sure if you can take it after 8 weeks, but you can ask. They gave me vicodin and the worst was over in 6-7 hours. With the misoprostol I was told I had to wait for two menstrual cycles and then I could try again.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Board Veteran
Posts: 4150
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Post by Ghost » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:09 am

chenry4413 wrote:Maybe Ghost has a diffferent and more informed response.
I wish I did. I've never studied it.

From what I've seen, my clinic gives a little time to see if the m/c will happen on its own, and if not then we do the D&C. But I've never discussed that in any detail.

I'll try to ask if I can corner one of the docs.
Avoid IVF and surrogacy in Ukraine. Ukrainian centers pay shills to post here under numerous sock accounts pretending to be patients in Ukraine. Centers using such deceptive advertising cannot be trusted and should be avoided.

Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Humble, Texas

Post by doodah66 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:18 am

Joyanna, I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my baby at 10 weeks back in April. We had an irregular heartbeat on our first scan and on our second scan there was no heartbeat at all. We found out on a Thursday that there was no heartbeat and I confirmed it with my OB on Friday. She suggested I either get a D&C or take the med (can't remember the name) to "induce", but she admitted that those options were what would work best for her so that she could maintain some control and help me through it.

In spite of her advice, at that point I chose to wait and let it happen naturally. My head and heart had to catch up to what technology was telling us. I was hoping it was all a big mistake. I was afraid to stop the progesterone in case they were wrong. Silly, I know. I'm not going to kid you and say it was easy knowing that my baby was still inside me, but not alive. By Tuesday I started spotting and on Wednesday I took the medication. All I can say about my experience is that I'm glad I waited and let the reality of it sink in. Maybe that's called being in denial, but it gave me some peace of mind.

Please take care of yourself and allow yourself to grieve.

Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by joyanna » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Thank you so much for your replies and sharing your experiences. I think that I am beginning to accept things now - I was in shock first 24 hours for sure.

I spoke to the clinic again today and they will scan me in a weeks time (not 2 weeks as originally planned) and then make a decision about the d&c.

Thank you again.

Post Reply