IVF-Infertility.com home

Experiences with PGD

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

Experiences with PGD

Postby wishing4baby » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 am

My DH and I were just told by my RE that our repeated chemical pregnancies are probably caused by poor egg quality. So, we are going to do PGD this next cycle.

Any ladies out there have experience with PGD? I would love to hear your thoughts and if it was the answer to getting pregnant. Thanks!
ME-29 (stage IV endometriosis; maybe poor egg quality) DH-28 (perfect)
IVF#1 & 2 - BFN
3 FETs - all chemicals
IVF#3 - 31 frozen day 1 embies
FET - 6/12/09- BFP
Beta #1-522 Beta #2 -1899 u/s shows twins!
3 blast frosties & 16 day 1 frosties
wishing4baby
Regular

Sponsor

Postby AmandaM » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:59 am

Wishing

I have a lot of experience with PGD and would be glad to answer any questions for you. I have a known genetic condition which creates a 50% chance of passing on to any child. For that reason we went through IVF to get pregnant and along the way discovered that I had an egg quality problem. Basically with PGD, if you don't already know, you go through the IVF process as normal. Then after they are fertilized, on day 3, when they are about 8 cells developed, they will remove one cell from each embryo and send it off to be tested for what ever they are testing. For me, the place that tested my cells built the test based on my DNA, from blood that was sent a few months earlier. After three cyles, because it took 2 to determine that I actually had a fertility issue, I am not pregnant with twins!
IVF # 1 Chem preg Beta #1 49 Beta # 2 33
IVF # 2 Chem preg Beta #1 9 Beta #2 22 Beta #3 168
IVF # 3 BFP!! 1st beta - 565 2nd 995 3rd 9,269 It's TWINS!!!!

AmandaM
Regular

Postby shelleyj5 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:37 am

I would also like to hear PGD success stories. We will be doing ER around Feb 5th. We have had 5 early miscarriages. We hope PGD is the answer!
Me & DH 26 yrs
IVF with PGD #1 2/09
ER Feb 4th, ET Feb 9th
Beta #1 Feb 17th: 344!!
Beta #2 Feb 19th: 1007!!

shelleyj5

Postby ann d. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 am

Hi W4B... I've been thinking about you and hope you find some answers to your question. Perhaps it would help to also post this question in the "Pregnant after Treatment" section? Maybe women with BFPs and ongoing pregnancy are in that forum that have some experiences with PGD. I find it hard to believe that only one woman (so far) has been able to contribute with her experience with it. I'm sure there are others. :D
Me: 36, DH:37
IVF #2: Jan '09- BFP! :-)
FET: Nov '10- transferred 1 embie- BFN :-(
Baby Alexander born September 20th, 2009!
ann d.
Regular

Postby wishing4baby » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks Amanda M - thanks so much for your response. I have so many questions and concerns with the whole idea of it. I am concerned that it will hurt the embryo (even though they assure me it doesn't). I am also concerned about getting no normal embryos. How many of your embryos were normal/abnormal?

Shelleyj - sounds like you and me are in the same boat. Are you going to be using PGD for your next round?

Ann d - you are right...thanks for looking out for me :-). I probably should post on that board. Thanks for the advice. Hope you are feeling well and the pregnancy is going great.
ME-29 (stage IV endometriosis; maybe poor egg quality) DH-28 (perfect)
IVF#1 & 2 - BFN
3 FETs - all chemicals
IVF#3 - 31 frozen day 1 embies
FET - 6/12/09- BFP
Beta #1-522 Beta #2 -1899 u/s shows twins!
3 blast frosties & 16 day 1 frosties
wishing4baby
Regular

Postby AmandaM » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Wishing

I had the same concern you had over hurting the embryos. First, at the 8 cell stage a cell is the same as any other cell. So you wouldn't be removing a cell that would turn out to be a arm, leg, brain etc. So removing one cell doesn't affect the total number of cells the baby will have or cause other abnormalities.

There was 1 guy in my clinic who usually did the PGD. Since he had the most experience he was the only one who I would let do the PGD. I worked around his schedule since he also worked in a FL office. I am in SC.

PGD is kinda like assisted hatching. They put a tiny slit in the other shell of the embryo and then pull out one cell. They put it on a slide. They do this for all embryos and then ship all of the cells off to be tested.

ALL of my embryos every time survived to day 5 and were not affected by the PGD, They did have fragmentation and unven cells(some small some large) due to the egg quality issue. However, they were not hurt by the PGD. These two issues were fixed on the third cycle by the changes they made.

Because of my genetic condition half of my eggs should be affected and half should not. The first cycle I had 9 that were affected and couldn't be used, 9 there were normal(in terms of only testing for that condition), and 3 that couldn't be determined. The second cycle I ended with 5. I can't remember how many were affected and how many couldn't be determined. And on the third cycle I ended up with 3. They put in all three and 2 of them took. (My boy/girl twins!)

In my case, because it was based on my DNA, they couldn't tell on some of the cells because they were missing DNA, abnormal embryos that wouldn't have worked anyway, or because it just didn't react to the test.

It only cost 2750 each time and that includes the shipping cost. I thought it was very much worth it to ensure my babies would be healthy. Although I don't have any serious issues from my condition, I have a mild form and the babies could have many more sever problems.

We decided against amnio for two reasons. 1.) Once I am pregnant they are my babies and either way I am keeping them. I did everything I could to prevent passing it on and if they have it they have it. There is only a 1-2% chance of error. 2.) Amnio is more risky with twins and after everything we went through to get pregnant I didn't want to take the chance of losing them.

I'm not sure what you are testing for and how your testing will be done. I believe some tests are generic and not based on individual DNA as in my case.

However, the process for the PGD is the same. Normal IVF. Day 3 PGD cell removal, and then day 5 transfer as it takes a day to be tested.

Hope this helps.

Amanda
IVF # 1 Chem preg Beta #1 49 Beta # 2 33
IVF # 2 Chem preg Beta #1 9 Beta #2 22 Beta #3 168
IVF # 3 BFP!! 1st beta - 565 2nd 995 3rd 9,269 It's TWINS!!!!

AmandaM
Regular

Postby shelleyj5 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:19 am

Wishing4baby: I will be doing PGD this round. I start stims tonight and ER should be around Feb 5th. I am doing it because of recurrent miscarriages most likely due to poor egg quality. Looks like we have some things in common! I hope we both get BFPs!!! What stage of your cycle are you in?
Me & DH 26 yrs
IVF with PGD #1 2/09
ER Feb 4th, ET Feb 9th
Beta #1 Feb 17th: 344!!
Beta #2 Feb 19th: 1007!!

shelleyj5

Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)