IVF-Infertility.com home

Size of follicles on day 1 of stims?

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

Size of follicles on day 1 of stims?

Postby lynniecat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:10 pm

I have 5 smaller follicles (less than 8) and 2 that are around 10 but my estrogen is only 13. I start stims tonight anyway, but I think its odd that the two good candidates (according to the ultrasound doc) are not producing estrogen.

I was thinking one of the larger ones could be left over? But how come the other is not making some estrogen? My only assumption is cause its not a good follicle?

I am trying the antagon protocol...so no meds prior to stim start.

This is most likely my last attempt...my ovaries are just too old.
Me: 44 severely reduced reserve
DH: 44 perfect
IVF 1: Feb 08 -BFP twins (lost one at 7 weeks, one at 13 weeks) :-(
IVF 2: June 08 -BFN :-(
IVF 3: September 08 -BFN :-(
IVF 4: November 08 - Katherine Emma born 8/9/2009 :D
lynniecat
Regular

Re: Size of follicles on day 1 of stims?

Postby karenvancouverisland » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:14 am

hmm.. so now i'm reading this after my response on your other thread... so it sounds like you and i may be having similar follie issues.. at my antral follie count, (on day 1 of AF) i had 2 big follies -measured at 8.. the rest were normal-small. the RE said this is concerning as in a cycle if this repeated itself those 2 would be over mature, and when you only have an antral count of 8 like me... 2 out of 8 is significant.

so we're rechecking my count in february to see how many i have, and if this is a repeat pattern of having some that are overly large... if so- i'll be doing some suppression before stims, which as a poor/low responder, was not thought as valuable for me before.

this is my new RE and i thought he was very thorough, the RE at my old clinic didn't want to retest or re-see anything before i cycled again. glad i switched.

keep me posted lynnie!
38 yrs. DOR, TTC since '04, recommended DE but didn't listen
3 IVF's & 1 FET: 1 cancellation, 1 m/c @ 12 wks, 1 chemical, 1 miracle boy & miracle 'natural' PG right now while waiting to cycle (WTF?)
feb 21 hb 154
karenvancouverisland
Regular

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:14 pm

lynniecat wrote:I have 5 smaller follicles (less than 8) and 2 that are around 10 but my estrogen is only 13. I start stims tonight anyway, but I think its odd that the two good candidates (according to the ultrasound doc) are not producing estrogen.

I was thinking one of the larger ones could be left over? But how come the other is not making some estrogen? My only assumption is cause its not a good follicle?

I am trying the antagon protocol...so no meds prior to stim start.

This is most likely my last attempt...my ovaries are just too old.

Conventional wisdom says it's good that they are not yet making estradiol.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran

Postby lynniecat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 am

Interesting Karen....suppression is supposed to keep them all the same size, but is your E2 high as well? Sounds like Ghost thinks its good to have a low E2 at this point.
Me: 44 severely reduced reserve
DH: 44 perfect
IVF 1: Feb 08 -BFP twins (lost one at 7 weeks, one at 13 weeks) :-(
IVF 2: June 08 -BFN :-(
IVF 3: September 08 -BFN :-(
IVF 4: November 08 - Katherine Emma born 8/9/2009 :D
lynniecat
Regular

Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)