IVF-Infertility.com home

Ghost help....sex the day of trigger

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

Ghost help....sex the day of trigger

Postby Alwaysangel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:54 am

I went to re today and triggering tonight. In the packet I got with the schedule it says to have sex tonight? I'm not sure if it means tonight is the last chance for a while or if it helps with the upcoming procedures???? I'm just nervous about doing something to screw up this cycle! Has anyone heard of this?
Me: 31 DH:44 vast/chemo
9/10-severe ohss then mc 6w
1/11-bfn
3/11-barely bfp then bfn
New re
7/11-mc 6w
1/12-chemical
7/12- we have a heartbeat!!!!!
Alwaysangel
Regular

Re: Ghost help....sex the day of trigger

Postby margi26 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Sorry that no one responded last night...I know that Ghost is on Summer vacation for a while.

Some RE's suggest this because there is some thought that the sperm can help promote implantation....but no worries if you didn't! You also have to be very gentle if you do because of your swollen ovaries. Many do not suggest sex at all for that exact reason.

I had actually heard the night before transfer for those reasons. Oops! Just reread your post and you said at trigger....

I think regarding before retrieval it is different. They want a good high sperm count so don't want him having sex for 48 hours before retrieval, but no more than 5 days.

Good luck with your retrieval!!! Think positive thoughts!!!! :D :D
Me: 44, endo. & 1 tube due to rupture
DH 36 fine
IVF#1 double ectopic/severe OHSS 12/08
IVF#2 BFN
IVF#3 BFP-->m/c
IUI#1, #2, and #3, 2010 BFN
IVF#4-2/11 HPT=BFP 11dpo; 13dpo=240! 15dpo=653, 20dpo=5522,3/29=u/s-1sac1yolk 4/4=2 HBs!
ImageImage
margi26
Valued Contributor

Re: Ghost help....sex the day of trigger

Postby Ghost » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 am

margi26 wrote:Sorry that no one responded last night...I know that Ghost is on Summer vacation for a while.

Some RE's suggest this because there is some thought that the sperm can help promote implantation....but no worries if you didn't! You also have to be very gentle if you do because of your swollen ovaries. Many do not suggest sex at all for that exact reason.

I had actually heard the night before transfer for those reasons. Oops! Just reread your post and you said at trigger....

I think regarding before retrieval it is different. They want a good high sperm count so don't want him having sex for 48 hours before retrieval, but no more than 5 days.

Good luck with your retrieval!!! Think positive thoughts!!!! :D :D

Yes. Some suggest it because there is some evidence that something about the intercourse apparently promotes implantation. Others refrain from it because uncollected eggs might get fertilized and result in high order multiples in patients with patent tubes.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran

Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)