IVF-Infertility.com home

I need you Ghost!

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

I need you Ghost!

Postby CT_Michele » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:48 am

It looks bad for me. DH had his 3rd TESE today, this time in OR. Lab looked for 2 hours and only saw 2 sperm, supposedly dead and non viable. I have already triggered and am set for 10am ER tomorrow. If I go there tomorrow and they say they see sperm, but nothing viable or "twitching," is that it for me? Has your clinic ever injected sperm that appeared non-viable or dead and still had success, or will they not even try?

Also, what happens if I have no ER and I have already stimmed and triggered? What happens to all these follicles/eggs? I know RE said I would ovulate out, but he said he would have to give me meds to bring estrogen down too. Can you explain a little how this will work and how uncomfortable it will be for me?

Thanks for any help, as always.
Me- 28 DH- 33 Male Factor
1st IVF- 12/07- BFP! Ella Michele was born 8/26/8
2nd IVF- 04/09 - BFN
1st FET- 09/09 - Chemical
3rd IVF - 04/11 - Embies didn't make it to ET
4th IVF - Fall 2011??
CT_Michele
Valued Contributor

Sponsor

Re: I need you Ghost!

Postby NY4thtry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 am

Ct
Why can't they freeze your eggs?
NY
Me 43 dh 65
6 cycles 3 chemicals
13+ banking cycles. 2 failed transfers to Surro
12/9 transfer 2 hatching blasts to surro beta 12/ 15
NY4thtry
Regular

Postby CT_Michele » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:00 am

My eggs aren't the issue. If they find no sperm this time, they won't find it any other time. This is his third tese, he doesn't want to do it anymore and I am not quite sure it would be allowed. If the sperm is "tapped out" then we won't need to ever use my eggs. We went in knowing this was likely the last TESE. If my husband was ok with using donor, I wouldn't even need ER, we could just do insemination. We have many years to make that decision, but just not sure either of us wants it. We always said we would cross that bridge when all other options were exhausted. :(
2nd IVF- 04/09 - BFN
4th IVF - Fall 2011??
CT_Michele
Valued Contributor

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 am

CT_Michele wrote:It looks bad for me. DH had his 3rd TESE today, this time in OR. Lab looked for 2 hours and only saw 2 sperm, supposedly dead and non viable. I have already triggered and am set for 10am ER tomorrow. If I go there tomorrow and they say they see sperm, but nothing viable or "twitching," is that it for me? Has your clinic ever injected sperm that appeared non-viable or dead and still had success, or will they not even try?

Also, what happens if I have no ER and I have already stimmed and triggered? What happens to all these follicles/eggs? I know RE said I would ovulate out, but he said he would have to give me meds to bring estrogen down too. Can you explain a little how this will work and how uncomfortable it will be for me?

Thanks for any help, as always.

"Dead" sperm can still be injected and sometimes they will work.

But it looks like an egg freeze is in your future, assuming your clinic has a protocol for it. Some do, some don't.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran

Postby CT_Michele » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:21 am

I don't think my clinic would freeze my eggs. I am 30 and am, as far as I know, "re-productively normal." I am not sure my clinic would even freeze just eggs if asked. I think I mentioned it once before and they claimed the quality of just eggs when thawed is not great. Also, if there is no chance of getting sperm from my husband ever again, what do we need the eggs for anyway. If we decide to do donor, we would just do insemination. But I am going to push them to look as long as they can and inject what appears to be dead sperm if necessary. I just want one last fighting chance!
2nd IVF- 04/09 - BFN
4th IVF - Fall 2011??
CT_Michele
Valued Contributor

Postby NY4thtry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 am

If they have the ability to freeze eggs they should absolutely do it yes just because you ask. I know women doing it so they have options in the future that are your age and younger!!! If they won't do it there is something wrong with them.....you have gone through Stims and are ready for er... Don't waste those eggs
Me 43 dh 65
6 cycles 3 chemicals
13+ banking cycles. 2 failed transfers to Surro
12/9 transfer 2 hatching blasts to surro beta 12/ 15
NY4thtry
Regular

Postby Happy Bunny » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:30 am

Maybe they will inject the sperm that aren't moving... There isn't anything to lose by trying right? Hopefully, your clinic will give it a shot.
Barbara
Me: 38 2X Ectopic; DH: 38 MF
IVF #1 ET 10/11/10 BFP Brooke Marie
IVF #2 ET 11/11/11 BFP Travis James

ImageImage

ImageImage
Happy Bunny
Regular

Postby CT_Michele » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:39 am

Yes, I understand that logic, but at the same time, not sure I can afford to put out $2000 to freeze eggs rather than embryos, when there is no guarantee of sperm in the future. Also, last ER, even though I had well over 20 "good-looking" follicles, we ended up with only 5 eggs (couldn't get the left side, scar tissue in the way), none of which fertilized. Just seems so risky to me to freeze the eggs and go through the pain of ER (they think last time was so painful b/c they left so many unretreived inside).

Bunny- I am hoping they will inject whatever they find. My RE knows this is probably it for us if we are not willing to use donor, so I hope he is willing to try. But I am prepared for the worst. He is a good, caring guy, and would absolutely not have me go through with something if he knew there was no chance it would work out.
2nd IVF- 04/09 - BFN
4th IVF - Fall 2011??
CT_Michele
Valued Contributor

Postby LYD10 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:49 am

Michelle, shouldn't you go through with ER just to get the liquid in the follicles out. Otherwise with 18 follicles bursting on their own you are going to be in a lot of pain. But I am sure your RE will be the best person to tell you how to take care of this.
Good luck! I am hoping they will find some sperm tomorrow!
ME 40, DH, 43
#1 IVF BFN
#2 FET DS born
#3 IVF ectopic
#4 FET BFN
#5 FET Chemical
#6 IVF, BFP at 8dpo, beta 215, started out with twins, one vanished at 6 weeks, EDD 9/4/12
LYD10
Regular

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:30 am

CT_Michele wrote:I don't think my clinic would freeze my eggs. I am 30 and am, as far as I know, "re-productively normal." I am not sure my clinic would even freeze just eggs if asked. I think I mentioned it once before and they claimed the quality of just eggs when thawed is not great. Also, if there is no chance of getting sperm from my husband ever again, what do we need the eggs for anyway. If we decide to do donor, we would just do insemination. But I am going to push them to look as long as they can and inject what appears to be dead sperm if necessary. I just want one last fighting chance!

Freezing eggs when no sperm are available is a reasonable and common practice at IVF clinics. But if you produce only a small cohort (you mentioned in another post that you had 5 eggs in a prior cycle, and the price of $2000 for egg freezing), then it may not be worth it, especially if you are not sure how/if you could ever fertilize them.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran

Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)