IVF-Infertility.com home

Question- GHOST please

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

Question- GHOST please

Postby sunny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:54 am

Hello,
I had a fresh ivf and i got my period 2 days before my scheduled beta.
From what i know, progesterone delays the period, and even if the result is BFN, the period wont come before stopping the progesterone support (i was on crinone once per day)
My question is: does the fact that the period came while still on progesterone means that the progesterone support was not enough?? Lack of progesterone??
And could this be the cause of the BFN??
sunny
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 am

Sponsor
 

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:37 pm

sunny wrote:Hello,
I had a fresh ivf and i got my period 2 days before my scheduled beta.
From what i know, progesterone delays the period, and even if the result is BFN, the period wont come before stopping the progesterone support (i was on crinone once per day)
My question is: does the fact that the period came while still on progesterone means that the progesterone support was not enough?? Lack of progesterone??
And could this be the cause of the BFN??


Great question.

Patients report "periods" that are often just breakthrough bleeding, not true menses. This can often be prevented with estradiol.

Such bleeding does not rule out a pregnancy.

If it really was a full period, it might reflect inadequate progesterone. Inadequate progesterone could cause a failure.
Last edited by Ghost on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby sunny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks a lot Ghost, i will be waiting for ur reply, im thinking that maybe i should ask to increase my prog support for my next cycle!!!...
sunny
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 am

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm

sunny wrote:Thanks a lot Ghost, i will be waiting for ur reply, im thinking that maybe i should ask to increase my prog support for my next cycle!!!...


I edited my previous answer.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby sunny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks Ghost,
In my case, it was a full period/bleeding, what i understand is that it "might" be lack of progesterone but "not necessarly" a lack of progesterone causes the early period???
sunny
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 am

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby tuffy4u » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:07 am

Sunny, this also happened on my first cycle. It was definately a period or seemed like one to me. I didn't think about inadequate progesterone but my RE changed me from suppositories to IM progesterone for my second cycle and I got a BFP. She said she didn't think it was the progesterone that caused the BFN but better safe than sorry for the second.
Me- 33 DH- 41
TTC since 2005
DD-3, DD-2
2011 4 Failed IUI cycles
9/24/11 IVF #2 two blasts transfered. 2 Frosties! 10/3 BFP! Beta 205, Twins!
tuffy4u
Regular
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby blueeyedreamer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 am

What do you make of light spotting (barely there) while on 1cc shots of progesterone and 2 vivelle dots? It sounds like there shouldn't be any bleeding if on both progesterone and estrogen.
Nicole 35, DH 42
IVF 1 BFN
FET 2 BFP twins, M/C 7 weeks.
FET 3 BFP, chemical beta high 81
IVF 4 BFP, chemical beta high 707
Severe endo
Multiple Sclerosis


Image
blueeyedreamer
Regular
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 3:31 am

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:48 pm

sunny wrote:Thanks Ghost,
In my case, it was a full period/bleeding, what i understand is that it "might" be lack of progesterone but "not necessarly" a lack of progesterone causes the early period???


Progesterone normally prevents a period, and you were on the manufacturer's recommended dose of Crinone for a fresh cycle. But does that stop every period in every patient? No. There are exceptions to almost every rule. Some patients get periods while taking progesterone. And some ovulate while on Lupron or ganirelix. These are the rare exceptions, but they happen.

My first instinct would be to suspect low progesterone absorption and therefore I would probably want to increase the dose next time if I was you, just to be more sure. But I don't claim any certainty that this would improve anything. I'm just saying I share your intuition on this. Estradiol reduces bleeding, although it does not improve IVF outcomes.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Question- GHOST please

Postby sunny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks a lot Ghost for ur answer. I was also on estradiol twice per day but I will ask for an increase of progesterone for my next cycle, better be safe than sorry...
Thanks again
sunny
Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 am

question for ghost

Postby Ninde » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:28 am

Hi ghost, I just wanted to ask your advise around exercise during stimming? I struggle to lose weight and have been doing two fairly heavy weightlifting workouts per week with my trainer and then 2 cardio days on my own since just before christmas. I have just started to down regulate and should start stimming around 14/15 march with er scheduled for week of 26 march. When should I stop the weight lifting sessions - should I do this when I stim or a few days after? I dont want to run the risk of torsion but my clinic are so fussy about my weight that I fell like im caught!!and can I do anything during stimming and two week wait?

Many many thanks

Ninde

Patricia
Ivf # 1 aug 2011 bfp. M/C 9 weeks
Ivf # 2 Mar 2012, beta Apr 12: Bfn
Ivf # 3 Aug 2012, another heart breaking bfn
Ivf # 4 Feb 2012
Ninde
Regular
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Ireland

Re: question for ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Ninde wrote:Hi ghost, I just wanted to ask your advise around exercise during stimming? I struggle to lose weight and have been doing two fairly heavy weightlifting workouts per week with my trainer and then 2 cardio days on my own since just before christmas. I have just started to down regulate and should start stimming around 14/15 march with er scheduled for week of 26 march. When should I stop the weight lifting sessions - should I do this when I stim or a few days after? I dont want to run the risk of torsion but my clinic are so fussy about my weight that I fell like im caught!!and can I do anything during stimming and two week wait?

Many many thanks

Ninde

Patricia


You should ask your clinic. What advice did they give you?
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm


Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests