Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 pm
Hello! I've been on the IVF rollarcoaster for almost 2 years now and have posted a few times on here in the past. Just a quick background, I'm 34 and am borderline ovarian reserve, DH is 39 and perfect. I was blessed with a natural little miracle 4 years right before I was about to start IVF and have been hoping to give him a sibling for the last 2 years. I've gone through 2 IUIs and 5 unsuccessful IVF cycles. IVF #2 resulted in a BFP, but ended in an early MC. We have transferred as many as 4 good looking embryos (last cycle) and got nothing.
Right now I'm at the end of a FET (using the 1 embryo that made it to freeze in my 1st IVF attempt). Imagine all those IVF attempts that were negative with good 4 embies being transferred the last time and I just learned yesterday I have a low (and I mean extremely low 1.75 positive). Going back tomorrow for another beta, guessing it's just a chemical. So my question is what to do next? I feel like these IVF disappointments have become just part of my life. Before this FET I was set on going toward donor eggs. But now I'm second guessing that and could use some opinions. It seems I have an obvious quality of egg problem here. I have 1 more IVF cycle covered under insurance (I know I'm very lucky) and am trying to figure out how to use that. If I go with donor eggs insurance will cover the medication (I believe) but it will still cost me upward of $20,000. So, do I just try one more fresh cycle and then donor eggs fully out of pocket? Or utilize my last cycle to assist with donor egg? I'm so confused as to what to do and would love some opinions. DH is no help, he says whatever I want to do he supports!
- Valued Contributor
- Posts: 2023
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:50 pm
- Location: Illinois
If you have a low ovarian reserve, you make less eggs and they are less quality. so even though you have transferred 4 good looking embryos, it doesn't necessarily mean they are chromosonally normal. Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? If i were in your shoes.. i think i might go for a 2nd opinion (if that hasn't happened already). If you like what another clinic has to say.. try another fresh cycle. another set of eyes and another protocol could be what you need.
If your insurance will only pay for drugs for a donor cycle.. you might as well use your insurance up on another fresh. The cost of meds for a donor cycle usually is not a lot.. i think i paid $1500 for my donor drugs. donors are usually younger and need less drugs. If you do another fresh with no luck..and can find the money for donor cycle.. i would go for donor cycle then.
For me.. i had insurance that paid for most of my 6 cycles. once i started paying fully out of pocket then i knew that i had to go for a donor cycle to increase my chances..
Chris 40- DH 41
6 IVFs Cycles - BFN's
DE Cycle 2/2011 -BFP Jacob born 11/11/11
FET 7/2012 - BFP - Kaylee due 4/3/13
- Posts: 66
- Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 pm
- Location: California
I agree with Chris to try a fresh again if possible and maybe get a different protocol. My second time with a changed protokol produced better eggs than the first so you never know. I can totally understand your frustration about DH - I hate it when they don't say what they would do or want and leave it up to us. I mean, it is nice that they do but once in a while it would help greatly if they made a decision.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do - it will b the right thing.
Me 34 DH 36
IVF1 BFP DS born 6/2010
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:07 am
I am no expert or even a lay person... but it sounds like it could be an issue with implantation if you are transferring that many good embryos. Has the RE run tests on vitamin D, etc which can impact implantation? the following blog mentioned the effects of vitamin D deficiency today
Me:43 (plus DH same age)
IVF#1 ended 22 June 2012 - BFN
Trying naturally - ovulation 7 July. Pregnancy test 23 July? Negative
IVF#2 BFN (but much better results, 8 over 7 cells at day 3)2 blasts 5dt
IVF#3 planned to start September 2012