IVF-Infertility.com home

Ghost- Doubling time questions

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

Ghost- Doubling time questions

Postby BlissfulCS » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:06 am

Ghost-

Its me again! (Difficult transfer/stimming for FET).

So today was an interesting turn of events for me. Here are my beta results

13 dpo = 60
15 dpo = 100 (65 hours)
19 dpo = 155 (153 hours)
22 dpo = 440 (47 hours)

Going for an ultrasound on Monday. If this little one keeps doubling does it have:

1) An increased chance for miscarriage or still birth?
2) An increased chance for birth defects.

I transferred three 2 day embryos so it could well be a vanishing twin, although the initial beta numbers are low for that.

What are your thoughts? How often do you see something like this turn into a healthy pregnancy and baby?

Thanks as always.
ImageImage

Alisa
Me 36- no tubes
DH 37- no issues
IVF 1 - 3 Chemical and 2BFN
IVF #4 FET- DD
IVF#5- BFN
FET May 11 2013- miscarriage at 8 weeks
BlissfulCS
Regular
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Sponsor
 

Re: Ghost- Doubling time questions

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 pm

BlissfulCS wrote:Ghost-

Its me again! (Difficult transfer/stimming for FET).

So today was an interesting turn of events for me. Here are my beta results

13 dpo = 60
15 dpo = 100 (65 hours)
19 dpo = 155 (153 hours)
22 dpo = 440 (47 hours)

Going for an ultrasound on Monday. If this little one keeps doubling does it have:

1) An increased chance for miscarriage or still birth?
2) An increased chance for birth defects.

I transferred three 2 day embryos so it could well be a vanishing twin, although the initial beta numbers are low for that.

What are your thoughts? How often do you see something like this turn into a healthy pregnancy and baby?

Thanks as always.


Congrats on your pregnancy!

1. Yes, there is increased risk of losing this pregnancy early on, when compared to pregnancies with normal hCG doubling times. Never heard of a link between hCG doubling time and stillbirth, though.
2. I don't know.

Your clinic will be watching for a possible ectopic.

I don't know how often a slow curve like that results in a healthy baby. Pretty often, I'd say, but not as often as when the hCG rises faster. Follow all of your doctor's instructions!

Good luck.
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Ghost- Doubling time questions

Postby BlissfulCS » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks Ghost! I don't have tubes, but I know it could still implant elsewhere, including in the scar tissue where the tubes used to be. Given the very difficult transfer I had I am very concerned about ectopic and I believe they are as well. My nurse said a normal doubling time (like my last one) is very rare in ectopic pregnancy and is a good sign. I just read a study that said 15% of ectopics will double normally and 15% of healthy pregnancies will double more slowly than normal (1.6x). So my simple math says I have a 15% chance of ectopic (maybe slightly higher since we know the transfer was rough and the RE had a hard time), 15% chance of a normal pregnancy, and a 70% chance of spontaneous abortion. I know that is oversimplified... but I am hopeful I fall into the good 15%!
ImageImage

Alisa
Me 36- no tubes
DH 37- no issues
IVF 1 - 3 Chemical and 2BFN
IVF #4 FET- DD
IVF#5- BFN
FET May 11 2013- miscarriage at 8 weeks
BlissfulCS
Regular
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Ghost- Doubling time questions

Postby BlissfulCS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:33 am

Just an update- I don't know if you all use any of this for research.

My beta doubled well again to 1440 at 25 dpo. Then to 2104 at 26 dpo. Then I went on vacation and had a u/s on Tuesday at 33 dpo. I had an empty sac measuring 5 weeks 2 days and I was 6 weeks 5 days. Beta was over 10,000. So now we are waiting 2 weeks to see if I miscarry naturally and I have stopped all meds. If I don't miscarry I will do a D&C in 2 weeks. Very sad but relieved that I have a break from shots, blood work, ultrasounds, and uncertainty. Silver linings...Thanks for your guidance.
ImageImage

Alisa
Me 36- no tubes
DH 37- no issues
IVF 1 - 3 Chemical and 2BFN
IVF #4 FET- DD
IVF#5- BFN
FET May 11 2013- miscarriage at 8 weeks
BlissfulCS
Regular
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Ghost- Doubling time questions

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:06 am

BlissfulCS wrote:Just an update- I don't know if you all use any of this for research.

My beta doubled well again to 1440 at 25 dpo. Then to 2104 at 26 dpo. Then I went on vacation and had a u/s on Tuesday at 33 dpo. I had an empty sac measuring 5 weeks 2 days and I was 6 weeks 5 days. Beta was over 10,000. So now we are waiting 2 weeks to see if I miscarry naturally and I have stopped all meds. If I don't miscarry I will do a D&C in 2 weeks. Very sad but relieved that I have a break from shots, blood work, ultrasounds, and uncertainty. Silver linings...Thanks for your guidance.


Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear this. Not surprised though, given your hCG values.

I hope you have more frozen embryos?
Note: I am not an MD and not an expert.
Ghost
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Ghost- Doubling time questions

Postby BlissfulCS » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I have one 5 day compacted morula. We are going to transfer it and then consider moving to a new RE for another fresh if that doesnt work. Thanks.
ImageImage

Alisa
Me 36- no tubes
DH 37- no issues
IVF 1 - 3 Chemical and 2BFN
IVF #4 FET- DD
IVF#5- BFN
FET May 11 2013- miscarriage at 8 weeks
BlissfulCS
Regular
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Michigan


Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests