IVF-Infertility.com home

Need Help 2nd time Ectopic Pregnancy with IVF

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

Need Help 2nd time Ectopic Pregnancy with IVF

Postby hope4baby » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:01 pm


Need some help. This is my second IVF cycle and both the cycles resulted in a Ectopic Pregnancy. All my test (hysteroscopy and hysterosalpinogram) came out normal. Regular periods and good progestrone level. Don't know what is happening with me. The doctors are suspecting some genetic problem with my egg. I have siblings and all of them have kids. Is there anyone going through the same thing. Need some advice.
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:49 pm


Postby Sand » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi there .. I haven't experienced the same thing but just wanted to say Hello and Welcome to the Site. I hope you receive replies from those who can share similar experiences.

Sandra x
Me 41 yrs old - dh 49 yrs old. ttc 110 yrs.
1st cycle (ICSI)....Mar 04 -ve.
2nd cycle (ICSI)....Aug 04 -ve.
3rd cycle FET........May 05 -ve.
4th cycle (ICSI) ... Feb 06 -ve
5th cycle FET ..... Feb/Mar 11
Board Veteran
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Lancs, England


Postby abking » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:20 pm

Hello. I have not done IVF yet, but have scheduled our first consultation next month. I have had 2 ectopic preg. myself that were a result of IUI's. I am so scared that the chances will be greater for me with IVF to have an ectopic. I hate to hear that you are having difficulty, but do know that there is a reason why things happen. Is this the first time you have been pregnant? I have had 3 pregnancies with the other one being a chemical pregnancy. Can they just remove your tubes? I'm going to inquire w/ my dr. about that. Good luck and keep me informed.

Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm

Postby stacystime » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:45 pm

Hello, i am very sorry that you haveing to go through this. I wouold like to talk to you via email if you would like.

Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Removal of Tube

Postby hope4baby » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:21 pm


Thank you for all your response. The doctor did give me the option of removing my tubes but it does no eliminate the possibility of another ectopic pregnancy. That is the reason why we opted not to go for it. Now I don't know what to do. I have gone through 3 IUI's all failed and 2 IVF's both ectopic.

I did get to talk to my doctor and he thinks maybe my embryos have some genetic problems. Is there any test or anything that could be done to eliminate that possibility?

Once again thank you for all your support, it means a lot.
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:49 pm

Postby DebraP » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:51 am

Hi, I had an ectopic in May, despite having had a tubal ligation 15 years ago. There was obviously just enough left to house the embryo - unfortunately. The consultant who patched me up after the rupture knew we would try tmt again and promised us she'd make absolutely sure the tubes were completely and utterly closed.

I'm not sure I understand the link between a possible genetic problem with your embryos and the ectopics. It's the movement of the embryo which causes it to settle in the wrong place vs. its content. Isn't it?

Why do you think having your tubes removed will still result in ectopic? if you make sure everyone (your doctor, the consultant, the surgeon etc.) knows you're doing this to avoid more ectopics, I'd assume they'd do for you as they did for me.

I've taken the risk again and just had tmt. I'll know soon enough if we're +ve and then I'll have to wait to see where the pgy is. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'd recommend you following your doctor's advice. You're obviously prone to ectopics, normal IVF doesn't get around that problem, getting rid of your tubes might be the only answer.

Sorry I've waffled on a bit.
Good luck
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2784
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:40 pm

ectopic and tube removal

Postby hope4baby » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:11 pm

Thank you for your posting. This is what my doctor said.
1. Even if you remove the tubes there is still a small a section of it which is left in the uterus wall and this could again result in another ectopic for me

2. He also mentioned that if my embroys are not of good quality it might again result in another ectopic (Which I don't understand fully).

So still not sure what to do.
Well good luck with your procedure and thank you once again for the response
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:49 pm

2 ectopic pregnancies

Postby lesnicgls » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:11 pm

I am new to the site but wanted to let you know that I too, have had 2 ectopic pregnancies. One resulted in the removal of my right tube, then I got pregnant on my own with no complications and had a little boy. I tehn had another ectopic and had the left tube removed. I am now undergoing IVF and am scheduled to have the retrieval Fri. or Sat. You might want to think about removing your tube(s), to prevent any future ectopics. I was told to NOT get prego on my own again and once we decided to do IVF, I decided to have the left tube removes, so I would have better chances with IVF, and prevent any future ectopics and also not have to be on birth control for the rest of my reproductive years.It was a hard decision, but both my ectopics were emergencies and dangerous.
I hope this helps...good luck! Leslie :)
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:05 pm

Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests