Molly23 and Summerbaby
Thanks for your good wishes.
Hope your NT went well. Let us know how it and the anatomy scan went for you and what we should expect with our scans. I’m scheduled for mine at 20 weeks. I’ve heard it’s pretty amazing.
My RE also said I have placenta previa. She was not concerned at all and said it almost always move later in the pregnancy. I will double check with my OB at my upcoming appointment this Friday.
If you have access to a good genetic counselor, I’d recommend it. Ours gave us lots of information about the risks of birth defects and the various tests. But, they were very careful to present the information neutrally and we ultimately made the decision to test on our own. Our HMO also advised us to speak to a social worker. She was very compassionate and a great listener and something similar could be helpful for you as you go through the stress of this decision making.
Enjoy feeling great. Wishing you the very best on your test next week.
Firstly, keep in mind that 3% chance still means that there’s 97% chance that everything is fine. I’ve heard with twins, it can be more difficult for them compile the results (as Molly references above) so that could be a large part of your assessment.
Based on my past history, I had 5% chance of a nural tube defect plus the regular down’s risk for my age group (1%) plus the other primary chromosomal issues, and still everything came back fine. I wasn’t really aware of what an enormous weight I felt until after it was removed. Now I feel great and like I can truly celebrate.
To reduce risk, I choose a perinatologist with a lot of experience (27 years) and rested in bed for the remainder of the day. I got as much info as I could from our genetics counselor, and probably more than I should have from the internet. (There are studies out there that quote a much lower risk for the procedure.)
Personally, I didn’t spend a ton of time predicting what our response would be to a non-favorable result, except, of course, to acknowledge that we’d be devastated. I felt that we would need the complete information in order to make a decision. My last pregnancy was diagnosed with ancephaly. While it was possible that the baby may have made it to term, there was no chance of her/him living more than a few hours so we choose to terminate. In this scenario, we felt this was the most humane choose for the child and for us. For a different situation, our response would likely have been very different. At the minimum, we would have had more time to prepare for the extra resources and support we’d need to raise a child with special needs.
One warning: be vocal if you don’t want to know the gender. When she called me with results, she told me the gender, then said, Whoops. I forgot to ask if you wanted to know.” I actually did want to know, but it would have been a bummer if I was looking forward to the surprise.
Thinking of all of you and sending you positive vibes.
08 IVF: lost twins 1 MC/1 anencephaly
1/30/09 FET: BFP!
9/21/09 She's here! born 5 weeks early, 4lb. 6 oz., 17-1/2 in.