IVF-Infertility.com home

Babies from DI

Forum for those who have undergone successful treatment, and wish to share their experiences of parenthood.

Babies from DI

Postby Polly12 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:20 am

Hi All,
Hubby and i are on the waiting list for a donor at the moment. I would love to hear from anyone who has gone on to get pregnant from an unknown donor (sperm) and how your pregnanacy went, how your hubby/partner was, how you felt, etc. I would love to hear from you. Just any information at all really would be very much appreciated.
Its not our ideal way of having a family, but i know its going to be our ideal family.

16 May 07- First IUI BFP!!!!!
Azoospermia in DH
Trying since 2005
Polly12
Regular

Sponsor

Postby princess » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:17 pm

HI Polly,
my husband and I have a beautiful son from DI.
My pregnancy was great and my husband absolutely adores our son.
He can't wait to have another child.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
joy
princess
Regular

Postby Polly12 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:55 am

Hi Princess,
Thanks so much for posting. That is fantastic about your darling son. You are the first person i have made contact with who has a baby from DI. i have loads of questions if you don't mind....
How many attempts did it take to fall pregnant?
Did you have any pain with the insemination?
What advise would you give to a couple who are facing the insemination process (eg being their together, etc - any tips)
Was your hubby responsive during your pregnancy and think along the lines of it being "Your baby together"? (something that worries me a wee bit)
When do you want to tell your children?
How many people have you told? We have only told our parents at this stage?

Any advice or tips or anything would be really appreciated, as i mentioned you are the only person i have found who has had a baby with DI that i can contact at the moment. really nice to hear from you.
Its not our ideal way of having a family, but i know its going to be our ideal family.

Azoospermia in DH
Trying since 2005
Polly12
Regular

Postby BelB » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:51 am

Hi Polly,

Just wanted to let you know that there is an aussie / kiwi thread on the general thread, would love you to post there as well. Not sure if there's anyone with donor insemination issues but you might at least get some local contacts?

Take care and good luck

Belinda
BelB
Regular

Postby princess » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:14 am

Hi Polly,
Well I got pregnant the first try. I didn't have any pain and it's very quick. You do have to lay there for about 10 -15 minutes, then you go on your way and carry on like normal.
My husband was there for everything the isemination ultra sounds all of it. He was wonderful during the pregnancy. He was much more conected than I thought he would be. He talked about his son all of the time (we found out what we were having.) I worried that once our son was here that my husband would resent him like he would change his mind all of a sudden.
It took him a long time to come to terms with using a donor. However all the things I worried about I didn't need to.
He loves our son so much and is such a great dad.
As far as telling people everyone close to us knows, they knew we were having problems concieving. We will tell our son when he is old enough to know. I am not sure that I am totally comfortable with telling him but my husband feels he should know. And there is always that slim chance that if we didn't tell him someone might slip up one day and he would find out and be angry with us that We didn't tell him. It would be the same if he was adopted.
please feel free to ask away. if your husband has any questions I am sure mine would be happy to answer him. We don't know anyone who has had children this way either. So I do know how hard and scary it is to not have someone to turn to.
So we are here for you.
When are you going through the process?
we are going to try again in June.
take care
Joy
princess
Regular

Postby Polly12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:25 am

Hi Belb,
thanks for your thoughful post, i will check the post out:)
to be honest i really am only intested in finding people in the same situation as myself, ive had so many well meaning people come into my life with fertility issues right across the board so feel very well supported in those areas, its just such a struggle to meet people who have to use DI due to DH being 100% sterile.

Thanks for the invite to check that post out. I sure will:)

Azoospermia in DH
Trying since 2005
Polly12
Regular

Postby Polly12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:35 am

Hi Joy,
You are very very blessed to get pregnant first try:) I hope and pray i am that lucky, man it would save me a lot of heartache and $$$. Thanks for the discription of the process, i have to travel 6 hours to have it done -sounds like the trip is the long part - not the process. My clinic have explained it to me, but there is nothing like hearing it first hand from someone on the "other side" who has actually had to go through it.

Can you please tell me - have you told your midwife about the DI? Just a question that crossed my mind.

It sounds like your Husband is an amazing man, a wonderful dad - anybody can be a father, not anyone can be a dad - i often think of that. I too have that fear that when our (future) baby is born hubby might change his mind, i guess until that time i will have that in the back of my mind, i must try to let it go, there is no real reason to fear that.

I too feel uncomfortable about telling future children, i wish it could just all disapear i guess, but thats not reality and i guess they do have right to know, just such a hard one, i think you are dead right about the kids finding out somehow, not from their parents, wouldnt' that be a nasty shock for them.

Thank you for the offer to answer questions, that is very kind of you both.
Right now i guess my main concerns are, how far we have left to wait, how the process is going to go (living so far from the clinic - we will probably fly) and hoping due to this and for the obvious emotional reasons that we dont' have to take too many go's to fall pregnant, its not like i can just "pop down the road" the following month.

we find out end of next week how far we have left to go on the waiting list, im estimating between 3-6 months based on what we were told when we were put on it in October.

You are lucky to be able to try again in June. We have to wait 1 year between tries (once a child is born) here in NZ. have often thought, having twins the first time could be a real blessing when you are in our shoes, one shot and two children, so much privacy of planning for a child is taken away with DI. Everyone at work will even know when im ovulating and off to the clinic! since its going to be at short notice.
Where abouts do you live? How long did you have to wait for a donor?

Thanks for keeping in touch
Polly

Azoospermia in DH
Trying since 2005
Polly12
Regular

Postby jomae » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:56 am

Hi Polly
Sorry I haven't got the time to do a long post at the moment but if your interested I posted a reply to a question similar to yours on the general forum not that long ago that you might like to look at It's now on page three under the topic of Donar Sperm ( author Michelle ) It took so long to type I thought it would be quicker this way if you have any further questions don't hesitate I know how stressful it can be
Hope you aren't waiting to long, Luckily over here in Aus we didn't have to wait at all I think I would go barny.
goodluck Jomaexxx
jomae
Regular

Return to Parents after treatment