IVF-Infertility.com home

New to board - getting ready for first IVF/ISCI cycle

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

New to board - getting ready for first IVF/ISCI cycle

Postby statsgoddess » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi, my name is Angela and I am new to the community but am seeking out support as we get ready to do our first try at IVF/ICSI. I'm 29 and my husband is 46. He had a vasectomy after the birth of his last child with the former wife about 14 years ago. We did try the reversal first about a year and a half ago, but no success, so we started going down the IVF road.

We've been to the class, done the sperm aspiration, and are currently waiting for my next period (should be next week) to call and start the month of birth control pills before we get to the dreaded drugs and shots. I guess that means I'm looking for some mid- April/May cycle buddies :)

Anyway, I'm pretty new to all of this, but I am looking forward to getting to know everyone!
statsgoddess
Regular

Sponsor

Postby bdantonio » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 pm

go to the in vitro fertilization forum there are ones there
bdantonio
Regular

Postby hjw » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi Angela, and welcome. Why don't you come and say hello to the ladies on the March/April thread (under the IVF forum), while you wait for your treatment to start? There are lots of us on there, and some of the ladies have been through the process before so there's tons of information to pick up for newbies like you and me!

I'm expecting my ER/ET to be mid April (ish) and there is another lady on there who is going to be late April, so depending on your timeline you may be cycling alongside us anyway!

Maybe see you over there!
Me 35, DH 41
TTC 4+ years
4 IUI's, BFN
#1 IVF, 04/2009, BFN
#2 FET, 07/2009, no transfer, frosties failed to thaw
#3 IVF, 12/2009, +ve HPT New Years Day!

GEORGE THOMAS ALEXANDER born 18th September 2010, 9lbs 4.5oz. Our beautiful boy.
hjw
Regular

Postby hope2beamummy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Angela! Welcome Im new here too!!
Im 29,DH 31. We are male factor. Starting ICSI in April. One question I have about this is that everyone doing ICSI seems to be saying they are taking birth control pills. Im not. I have to have a nasal spray,which Im asssuming achieves the same result of the pills???
Anyway,dont be too disheartened about the vasectomy reversal. I have 2 friends who are in a similar boat, I think she is about 33/34 and he is about 48 and he had a vasectomy with previous partner,they did IVF and are now about 7.5months preg. It didnt happen overnight BUT it did happen. We will probably be cycling around the same time. Come over and join us on the March/April board. GOOD LUCK.
This is a great place everyone is lovely.......
hope2beamummy

Postby hope2beamummy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 pm

sorry duplicate post!
hope2beamummy

Postby hjw » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Hope2beamummy, I'm on the nasal spray too, rather than BCP's. It seems that different clinics do very different protocols, and it also varies person to person as well. So for me, I'm on the nasal spray for three weeks to shut my system down (it makes my body think I'm going through the menopause so that my ovaries go quiet), then I have my baseline assessment to check that there is nothing going on in my ovaries and after that I start injecting to produce lots of follicles at once.

I'm not sure why some women get given the down regulation drugs and others get given BCP's - I don't think there is any right or wrong protocol. And for this stage of the process, there is no difference between IVF and ICSI - the only difference is in the way they fertilise your eggs after retrieval.

Hope this helps!
Me 35, DH 41
TTC 4+ years
4 IUI's, BFN
#1 IVF, 04/2009, BFN
#2 FET, 07/2009, no transfer, frosties failed to thaw
#3 IVF, 12/2009, +ve HPT New Years Day!

GEORGE THOMAS ALEXANDER born 18th September 2010, 9lbs 4.5oz. Our beautiful boy.
hjw
Regular

Postby statsgoddess » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks to both of you - I added to the March/April post to meet some more people. I wonder if the nasal spray has anything to do with what a country tends to use? I'm in the US and it looks like both of you aren't. Hmmm.
statsgoddess
Regular

Postby FFZ » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Hello Ladies,
Im new to this posts as well, and I will start IVF this cycle, waiting for AF to arrive these days to start with birth controll pills.
I can say that I'm pretty scared with all the procedure...but I beleive that we can help each other by sharing our feellings and experience.
Good luck to all of you
FFZ

Return to Introductions