IVF-Infertility.com home

ohss

Discussion group for all topics related to infertility including preparation for pregnancy, causes, investigation and treatment of infertility.

ohss

Postby nancy1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi ladies,
have any of you experienced mild ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome after egg retieval. It has now been one week since my embryo transfer and I'm still really swollen.
My doctor said the symptoms should disappear if i do NOT become pregnant and would last for 7-8 weeks if I do.
Can you guys share your experiences if you have been in my shoes?
nancy1
Regular

Sponsor

Postby PMApsy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 am

Hi Nancy!

I had mild OHSS after my second IVF and the doctor told me symptoms would last for a few weeks AND get worse if I became pregnant. THe IVF didn't work, so the swelling went away after a few days.

Good luck for your 2ww and hang in there! The swelling really isn't fun! Drink plenty of Gatorade; the nurses "prescribed" that to me and it helped.

Take care,
Sophie
1st and 2nd IVF = BFN 1st FET BFP! m/c at 7 weeks. 2nd FET BFP! 3rd FET BFN
Now let's spend the rest of our lives having fun together! Image
PMApsy
Regular

ohss

Postby nancy1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:13 am

Thank you so much for your kind reply. You're right, the swelling isn't fun,nor is the waiting game. How long after your embryo transfer did the swelling go down?
nancy1
Regular

Postby souris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:19 pm

hello,

got mild Ohss on one of my cycle. It was quiet painfull and although I tried not to, I had to go to the ER because it was getting hard to breathe.

this was about 4-5 days post transfer. at the ER they kept me overnight to check that I had no problem to urinate. I had a strict no salt diet.
I also had my urine tested for pregnancy (and although I told them it was waaaay too early they made me take it anyway) which obviously came back negatif. My womb was empty at the scan.

I left the following day feeling better, and it got better and better the days after. But I was pregnant! and although the pregnancy ended, the ohss stopped even when my hcg number were rising ...

I was also told that it could get worse if i was pregnant, but obviously it can also get better in a matter of days

wishing you the best for your test day!
Me 27, DH 55
04/ 05 ICSI -tive 02/06 ICSI. No fertilisation
09/ 06 ICSI. BFP!!! M/C at 12 weeks.04/07 ? ICSI -tive
04/08 ICSI BFP!!! M/C at 12 weeks
Feb 09 6th ICSI has started! neg
June 09 7th ICSI. Please make it happen!!
souris
Regular

ohss

Postby nancy1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:38 am

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am due to take my first pregnancy test tomorrow! Thanks also for your well wishes.
Hearling other peoples experiences is very helpful.
nancy1
Regular

Postby nicolamark » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:07 pm

hi nancy, i had bad OHSS and egg retrival was cancelled, otherwise it could have gotten extremely bad...
I was swollen and blosted and in pain for about a month, but that was with out retrieval and transfer, so different to you.
The doctors told me to eat plenty of protien and drink lots of water.
But of luck and hope next week u get BFP xxx
TTC 9yrs...lots of IUIs all BFN
1st IVF cancelled OHSS
2nd IVF 4 eggs all failed to fertilise
3rd IVF down regging now, EC expected 1st wk of sept.
nicolamark
Valued Contributor

ohss

Postby nancy1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:51 am

Hi,

I just got my BFP and am really excited! I also was diagnosed with moderate OHSS, which puts me at a higher risk of a miscariage but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude!
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!
nancy1
Regular

Postby tigersuz22 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi Nancy!
Congratulations on your BFP! How exciting!!

I will tell you that I had severe OHSS after my transfer. My belly blew up and I looked about 7 months pregnant. I was throwing up, feverish, no appetite - basically the worst flu symptoms I can ever describe.

I did have to have the fluid drained out of my stomach twice. It wasn't pleasant but fortunately, I had anesthesia both times. I am 20 weeks pregnant and my symptoms went away after about 5 weeks but my belly didn't get back to normal until I was about 10 weeks pregnant... just in time to start showing the pregnancy. :)

It will pass - just takes time. But now you have a beautiful baby to look forward to! Congratulations - I hope everything goes well!!
-Suzanne
tigersuz22

Postby nancy1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi Suzanne,
thank you so much for your reply! At least now I know there is light at the end of the tunnel! :-)
Congrats to you too and I wish you all the best!!!
Were you placed on a special diet while you were on ohss? I read gatorade and a high protein dit are helpful.
nancy1
Regular

Postby tigersuz22 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi Nancy!
It wasn't necessarily a special diet but my RE told me to avoid sodium and salt as it would keep the bloat going but eat as much protein as possible and drink alot of fluids - primarily water and gatorade. And definitely take it easy - I kept trying to go back to work right away and it would just exacerbate the symptoms.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on how you and the baby are doing!
Suzanne
tigersuz22

Postby nancy1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks Suzanne! I sure will.
nancy1
Regular

Postby souris » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:58 am

Nancy congrats!! you must be thrilled!
I hope that you feel better soon

I have never heard that they were more risk of miscarriage when one's got ohss... strange

again congratulations!
Me 27, DH 55
04/ 05 ICSI -tive 02/06 ICSI. No fertilisation
09/ 06 ICSI. BFP!!! M/C at 12 weeks.04/07 ? ICSI -tive
04/08 ICSI BFP!!! M/C at 12 weeks
Feb 09 6th ICSI has started! neg
June 09 7th ICSI. Please make it happen!!
souris
Regular

Postby nancy1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:26 pm

Thank you so much for your well wishes! I am keeping my fingers crossed! And best of luck to you too!!
nancy1
Regular

Postby sbr » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:11 am

Nancy,

How are you doing? Have the OHSS symptoms eased up? I, too, suffered from OHSS when I got pregnant with my son in June of 2006. My OHSS was so bad that I was hospitalized for 8 days. I was so incredibly miserable, and quite honestly I was hoping I wasn't pregnant so the pain would go away. My doctors kept saying that my misery was great because that probably meant I was pregnant. That's how it turned out and I was actually pregnant with twins from my first IVF!! Unfortunately I lost "Baby B" but my "Baby A" turned out to be my wonderful son. I looked like I was 6-7 months pregnant and gained SO MUCH water weight. It finally went down about 8-9 weeks into the pregnancy. It was a very rough beginning to a very rough pregnancy, but of course, my wonderful son was born and all that misery is a memory of the past. And it's so distant that I'm prepping for my first FET since my pregnancy! I'm SO thankful not to be stimming. I was lucky enough to have 7 frosties left. I'll be transferring two on 4/2. I hope you're feeling better and your pregnancy is off to a good start! CONGRATS!

~Sarah[/i]
Me-32 PCOS
DH-32 Low everything
TTC since 2003
IVF/ICSI#1 6/23/06 BFP, 7 frosties
DS born 2/26/07
FET #1 4/2/09, transferred 2, BFN
FET #2 6/12/09, transferred 2, BFN
FET #3 1/21/10, transferred 3, BFP!
Beta #1 103, Beta #2 179, U/S: ONE h/b
EDD: 10/11/10
sbr
Regular

ohss

Postby nancy1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi sarah,

you have no idea how greateful I am for your post.
My OHSS is moderate. On Sunday late night I had a miscarriage and thought my pregnancy was over! I went to my 6 week ultrasound check on Monday (the next day) just expecting that I had lost it all. My OB found an empty sac confirming my miscarriage, but much to my relief, found a heartbeat. I had mutliples after all and I was surprised by it since I thought, and so did my OB, that I was only pregnant with one! (my beta was about 230). I had 3 embryos transferred.
Not only that but he thinks there might possibly be another one hiding, possibly an identical twin, not a fraternal one, since he thinks the embryo might have divided!!! Anyhow, while I am really sad and scared from the loss of one, I am so greateful for the beautiful (or possibly 2 ) heartbeat that I saw.

The fact that you said you gave birth to a beautiful baby gives me the stregth to hope that all will be well. The miscarriage scared me so much that I almost forgot about my OHSS though that is hard to do.

I am on a three day bed rest and keeping my fingers crossed.

I wish you all the best with your next cycle and wait to hear the good results from you!!!
Have a great day!
Nancy
nancy1
Regular

Next

Return to General Forum