IVF-Infertility.com home

Am l too late ?

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in infertility.

Am l too late ?

Postby kateyone » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:21 am

I have had several attempts of IvF.. without success.. I am 47 now.. I gave up the thought for 5 years.. but it has started to eat away at me again... should l try again..?<br>I have not eggs as l have gone throught them premiture menopause.. my husband is 57.. so should l think of a donor for eggs and for sperm.. we have tried so many times.. l still yearn and feel that l should have another go.. am l too late ? can anyone help me at this stage?are they going to say l am too old? how much more can l spend trying?<br><br>where should l go? l dont know what resoures to try anymore.. but l dont want to give up.. l really dont..
kateyone

Sponsor

Am l too late ?

Postby Michelle » Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:02 pm

Hi Katey<br>Welcome to this wonderful site! All the girls I chat to post their notes on the 'General Forum' and it may be better for you to as well as I think you will get a better response.<br>I've just started my first IVF treatment - so not nearly as knowledgeable as you and many of the girls on this site. I'm so sorry that you have been through to much but my view is don't give up...I don't know anything about adoption but that may be something you would want to consider. If I was you, based on where you live, I would see if you can get an appointment with a local fertility centre in your area and see what they have to say.<br>Wishing you loads of luck.<br>Love<br>Michelle x<br>
Michelle
Regular

Am l too late ?

Postby kateyone » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:00 pm

Thank you Michelle..<br><br>Yes I may just check out the option of adoption... I have just applied for fostering short term... <br><br>Thank you for your reply and encouragement..<br><br>
kateyone

Postby ogr1 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:14 am

i was just thinking about you....
becky
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter
and all of our many adopted and foster children that touch our lives
and i am glad to add that our 6th grandchild will be born this spring!!!!
ogr1
Board Veteran

Postby DebraP » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:42 am

Hi Katey.

I don't know the answer to your question, one way to find out might be to look for local clinics (search via the www.hfea.gov.uk) site and ask them directly. We know that women can get treatment in this age range but I'm not sure I've heard of UK clinics providing it. Italy seems to have doctors willing to treat slightly older women.

Having said that, I know of a pregnant 47 yr old (will be 48 when the baby is born) + a friend of a friend in Sydney had her first at 47 last year. Our bodies are capable of doing this - both the women above were natural conceptions though.

I'd echo Michelle's advice, check out the clinics' websites/brochures or just spend an hour calling and asking directly.

Adoption is a real option, there are countries who are more flexible about parental age. Try information sites about children from China, Brazil, Sri Lanka, Ecuador and India. Maybe Ethiopia too.

Good luck,
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Postby ogr1 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:53 pm

:D great info debra

:D
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter
ogr1
Board Veteran

Postby Traci » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:22 pm

I am sure that the early Menopause issue is ok they just give you tablets to help the cycle and as for Donors there is a waiting list but the other option you have is Donor Embrio Like adoption but you make it your self almost like a cake mix just bung it in the oven!!!!!! I am sure that most clinics take clients up to 49 ish so you need to get your name on the list , I suppose if you are going through early Menopause then your FSH would be high there fore the responce to drugs with your own eggs might be a gamble . My Clinc have lots of Donor embies ready and waiting for a new Mummy and Daddy .

YOU GO FOR IT GIRL

Trace x
1st cycle own eggs Neg
2nd cycle own eggs Neg
3rd cycle cousins eggs Neg
4th cycle unknown donor eggs Neg
Going to have sisters eggs Feb 06
NEVER GIVE UP!
Traci
Valued Contributor

Postby ogr1 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:37 pm

traci tell your clinic that they should send some over this way.....
ogr1
Board Veteran

Return to Infertility