IVF-Infertility.com home

where's the fairness

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

where's the fairness

Postby spectre » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:59 pm

im a married man with no children of my own but my wife has 3 children from her previous partner. my wife has been sterilised now.we went for an appointment for ivf to see if we were eligible and where told that because my wife had already 3 children (that are all grown up and left home) that we would not be eligible for free treatment on the NHS, I found this very upsetting and i was very angry , she told us that if it was the other way round' that i had been sterilised'that we could be eligble after all
spectre

Postby nes » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:35 pm

Hi. I was just reading your post, and thought I would just say that that sucks!!! :shock: :lol: :x

I can't see the point of telling you that you aren't eligable, but you would be if it was the other way round... What was the point in that? :?

At this point I too am not eligable for treatment on the NHS... I'm looking of a bill of at least £4000-£5000... :evil: :cry: Hopefully by the time I get round to starting treatment there will be some sort of helping hand there.... Hope that you find something that helps.

Take Care.

Nes
Nes X

Mum to Twins Jess & Kai, born 1.06.06

nes
Regular

Postby DebraP » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:35 pm

Hi, that sounds extremely unfair and in fact, discriminatory. I'd be p*ssed off too. f you've the time and resources you might want to find out if such gender-based discimination is in fact legit.

That said, there are many of us on here who can only have private treatment for one reason for another, including people who should qualify for 'free' NHS treatment but who have been told their local authorities don't have the funds.

You might want to ask your question of a few other clinics/hospitals and double check the answer.

Good luck
Debra.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Postby ogr1 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:49 am

it is sad that it comes down to money..

have you guys checked on getting a reversel?
and like what was said before i would call around and see if every place says the same thing..
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter
and all of our many adopted and foster children that touch our lives
and i am glad to add that our 6th grandchild will be born this spring!!!!
ogr1
Board Veteran

Postby nicolamark » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:29 pm

thats bad!

I hope that something works out real soon.

what if u pay, for a reversal?
TTC 9yrs...lots of IUIs all BFN
1st IVF cancelled OHSS
2nd IVF 4 eggs all failed to fertilise
3rd IVF down regging now, EC expected 1st wk of sept.
nicolamark
Valued Contributor

Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)