IVF-Infertility.com home

ovarian reserve??devistated please respond!!

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in infertility.

ovarian reserve??devistated please respond!!

Postby sammys » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:42 am

I just got a call from my re he said that my 3 day labs show that my fsh is above 15% and 10% or less is normal. he said that my ovarian reserve is that of a woman in her early 40's and I'm only 34. What does this mean?? he said that there would be a less likely chance to become preg. or to carry to term w/ my own eggs for ivf...how did this happen...what am I going to do now?? anyone?? I just want to crawl into a hole and die!
sammy
sammys
Regular

Sponsor

Postby ogr1 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:38 am

dont crawl in to a hole.. that is the worse thing that you can do...
but you should read the other forums.
alot of women have been told that they wont beable to get pregant and have.. there are alot of different things out there that can help.

also please know that you dont ever have to be alone ...
there are alot of great women that are here for you..

please hang in there....
becky
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter
and all of our many adopted and foster children that touch our lives
and i am glad to add that our 6th grandchild will be born this spring!!!!
ogr1
Board Veteran

Postby Sand » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:14 pm

Hi Sammy

Pls read the following info, and then hopefully you can make sense of what your doctor has told you. I'm reading straight from a book, about Ovarian Reserve .....

"The so-called biological clock has a significant impact on a woman's fertility. A woman is born with all the eggs she will ever have. Her store of eggs (ovarian reserve) slowly declines with increasing age, particularly after the age of 35. The number of fertilizable eggs has run out long before a woman's last menstrual period"

Then, about Egg qualilty ....

"A good egg is defined by normal chromosones and, once those chromosones have combined with those from a sperm cell, the egg's ability to divide efficiently. Older woman have older eggs, which may carry chromosome abnormalities, so it may take them longer to get pregnant than younger women. When they do, they are more likely to miscarry and there is a greater risk of chromosome abnormalities (such as Down's syndrome) - 1 in 476 for 25 year olds, 1 in 192 for 35 year olds, and 1 in 21 for 45 year olds. ....."

Sammy, this is taken from a book by Zita West, which is called Fertility and Conception. It is a really good, informative read.

Sandra x
Me 41 yrs old - dh 49 yrs old. ttc 110 yrs.
1st cycle (ICSI)....Mar 04 -ve.
2nd cycle (ICSI)....Aug 04 -ve.
3rd cycle FET........May 05 -ve.
4th cycle (ICSI) ... Feb 06 -ve
5th cycle FET ..... Feb/Mar 11
Sand
Board Veteran

Postby DebraP » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:22 pm

Sammy, if you google 'lowering FSH' you'll find some links that might help. One of them is to Zita West (the author of the book Sand quotes from). In short there's nothing medicinal you can take to reduce it but there are some other things that might help. Did your RE mention that FSH varies from month to month and is often lower in winter? the recommendations are issues like - detoxing, destressing, losing weight if nec., gentle exercise...nothing too daunting. Did your RE suggest testing you again next month? If not, consider it as it's possible the numbers will change.

Re. ovarian reserve, there's nothing you can do to increase the number of eggs I think but have a look at what's happening with DHEA. Look for a thread about a month ago (or google the subject) from ChicagoKelly (or a name v.similar) she linked an article about a previously low responder and the effects of taking DHEA for several months.

Good luck. There's a ton of info out there but I can understand why you'd feel so distressed after the call. There are some things you can try to do to improve part of the situation at least. That might help with the feelings of wanting to hide from it all.

hugs
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much!!

Postby sammys » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:20 pm

You're all so great, I can't believe how much support I'm getting from this board...I hope and pray that we all hold our own newborn baby someday...until then it's nice to know I'm not alone in this, my husband does what he can to ease my heartache, but can't really relate, he has two beautiful children from his first marriage...thanks everyone God Bless
sammy
sammys
Regular

Postby ogr1 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:27 pm

just wanted to say hi and to check in on you..
:)
becky
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter
ogr1
Board Veteran

Thanks Becky

Postby sammys » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:10 am

Hi, I'm doing o.k. how are you? I'm in Massachusetts and were expecting 20-30inches of snow...so it looks like I'll be on the boards ALL weekend! I'm feeling more optomistic about my high fsh and going through with ivf and icsi. I've been doing some research and it actually isn't impossible for us to get pregnant with my own eggs!!! We will probably doing the ER the first week of March... hope you're well, thanks for the hello! :D
sammy
sammys
Regular

Postby ogr1 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:28 am

i am doing pretty good.. i am in montana. we did have a couple feet of snow but the rain came and now we just have slush.. but at least it isnt - 20 any more.. i love the snow..

it has been a mad house around here..
i am glad that you got some good news..
i did my ivf in spokane washington.. they where so great there..
i got pregnant with our son in march..

good luck with all the snow
becky
ogr1
Board Veteran

sorry soooo late

Postby sammys » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:47 pm

Hello Becky, I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you right away, I have to learn to check daily for replys. Hope you're doing well and staying warm I hear it can get pretty darn "chilly" in Montana, here in Mass we're expecting another 7-10'' of white stuff...I'm having bw tomorrow to see what my e2 level is. I've been stimming w/Bravelle for 3 days now and my target ec is march 9, please say a little prayer for me...
sammy
sammys
Regular

Postby ogr1 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:23 am

i always say a prayer for all ivfers..

we havent had much of a winter..
only got a couple inches of snow and it is pretty much gone.. havent got much rain. we did get some very cold weather - 20..

but the sun has been out for the last couple of wks.. very odd for this time of the year...
becky
ogr1
Board Veteran

Ovarian Reserve?? devastated please respond

Postby taylorjools » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:28 am

Hi Sammy
I'm new on this site, but I couldn't help noticing that your situation is similar to mine (I had terribly high FSH from 35, probably before but we weren't ttc then). dh has also 2 lovely kids from 1st wife and he can't understand the deep psychological effect of being told you are peri-menopausal when you are so young. I made the mistake of burying my head in the sands, even getting second, 3rd and fourth opinions which just wasted time and FSH just got higher and higher. Don't give up, and hang on in there. We are about to do our first IVF with donor eggs. I am resigned to it now, but I know in my heart if I'd been braver and stronger (and found a forum like this to support me) when I was 35 we might have made it with my eggs.

Love to you, be brave

Julie from Germany
POF+autoimmune+dh antibodies,5.05 DIVF IM M/c 7.5 wks, DIVF+TESE at ISIDA - son 08/06
FET ISIDA: 12.07.07 m/c 8 wks b.ovum, 17 Dec 2007- BFP triplets OMG!!!
taylorjools
Valued Contributor

Postby ogr1 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:54 pm

just wanted to send simles
:D :) 8) :lol: :P :wink:
ogr1
Board Veteran

Postby sammys » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:56 pm

:P Hi Julie, I hope and pray that we all get our dream baby...Thanks for the response and your prayers, love Sammy... God Bless and Be Well
sammy
sammys
Regular

Postby ogr1 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:01 pm

just checking in on you :)
ogr1
Board Veteran

Postby taylorjools » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:55 pm

If I'd had you lot to support me back then who knows what would have happened. Now my FSH is between 80 - 120 so I just have to accept it and move on to DE. It's still tempting to try one IVF but I know it's a complete waste of time and stress.

Now I just have to pray for the womb lining to do it's bit. It's helped me a lot to see how many are using DE or DS. Thank you.

LOve to all of you
POF+autoimmune+dh antibodies,5.05 DIVF IM M/c 7.5 wks, DIVF+TESE at ISIDA - son 08/06
FET ISIDA: 12.07.07 m/c 8 wks b.ovum, 17 Dec 2007- BFP triplets OMG!!!
taylorjools
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Infertility