IVF-Infertility.com home

HOW MANY OF YOU ARE GOING FOR BLASTOCYST TRANSFER??AND WHY??

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in IVF and embryo transfer including frozen embryo transfer.

HOW MANY OF YOU ARE GOING FOR BLASTOCYST TRANSFER??AND WHY??

Postby hinak » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:22 am

I AM GOING FOR IT ,BUT NOT SURE IF I SHOULD
hinak
Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: Uk

Postby LittleP » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:39 am

Hinak

I'm not quite at EC stage yet, but have talked to consultant very briefly about this - they said they will discuss with me after EC and make a recommendation then.

If you post this on the General Forum as well, I am sure other girls will reply because there are several of them who have made decisions about this, or will do soon!!

Hope you are ok.

Hugs

Little P
Image
LittleP
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:15 pm

Postby dancola » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:10 pm

As LittleP said, on the general forum there are quite a few topics about this - Geordie Jill posted one last week with the same dilemma (she'd been offered it) so most of us replied on that.

I've had blasto twice. First time was a +ve but sadly m/c after, and April this year was a -ve (next cycle will be on steroids as consultant suspects my high killer cell level may explain this).

My clinic offers blasto to anyone who has more than 6-7 embryos which develop well. Even if I get only 5-6 next time, I'm likely to be offered it because I get to the blasto stage each time therefore my embie quality is deemed to be good. The risk with blasto is that you could have none between the Saturday (Day 3) and the Monday (day 5) - my clinic does EC on a Weds. The other thing is that usually you don't get any left for freezing.

However, I take the blasto option because the success rates - ay my clinic anyway- are higher. 34% at my age group compared with 50% for those doing blasto. The theory goes that the 5-day emby is inserted into the uterus at a point where, during a natural conception, it would have arrived into the uterus, thereby mimicking natural conception more closely. the other thing is that they reckon a 5-day blasto is more likely to last the pace, ie having survived 5 days o/side the womb it's obviously a strong emby. Those embies that don't survive between EC and Day 5 are thought not to have had much chance. That said, there are plenty of women who have day 2 and 3 transfers and have +ves.

My clinic is very good - on Day 1 they tell me how the embies are doing. I am automatically considered for blasto because of my previous 'performance'. On Day 2 they advise how likely it is that they will get to blasto. On Day 3 (Saturday) we make the final decision. They are always honest about the risks but usually tell me what the chances are of them surviving to Day 5. If I want, I can come in on Day 3, but given the chance I'd go for blasto.
dancola
Regular
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: London

hi

Postby hinak » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:53 pm

dancola,

thankyou so much on your input and i will check out the general forum.I want to go for blast but let see.thanks

Little p

Guess what we are together its my 5th day of stims too,goodluck
hinak
Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: Uk


Return to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests