IVF-Infertility.com home

1st IVF: Question about Retrieval

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

1st IVF: Question about Retrieval

Postby babiluv » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:37 am

Hello everyone, Glad I found this website. Stories have been very helpful.
I just had my first retrieval today and am a little worried because they only retrieve 4 good eggs. I heard they usually get around 10-12, even up to 30 or so sometimes. I'm 28 and my DH is 28. Has anyone had success stories with a low number of eggs?
babiluv

Sponsor

Postby DebraP » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:15 am

Hi there and welcome to the site.

The number of follicles and then eggs retrieved varies everytime. There are always stories on here of numbers between 1 -25 but it doesn't make that much difference to each egg's individual chance of success. Having good 4 eggs, all of which will hopefully fertilise is a much, much better place to be than a lot more eggs only a few of which fertilise and even fewer are good enough quality to use or freeze.

The real test will come this weekend when the clinic will tell you how many fertilised, but bear in mind the number may have increased by the time you go for ET.

Let us know how you get on.
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Postby babiluv » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:15 pm

Thanks Debra for the words of encouragement.
The clinic called me today and said 3 fertilised w/o icsi.
I was hoping all 4 would but 3 is good too. hopefully from this point on my babies will keep growing. So your first ivf was successful? that's great. I love reading success stories and knowing ivf does really work.
my transfer is 4 days from now. can't wait...keep you posted.
babiluv

Postby DebraP » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi, 3 out of 4 is great, very good numbers. You'd be surprised at how many people drop to 25% fertilisation rate or worse.

Good luck with ET, it's usually a much simpler, quicker, less painful process than EC and all over within 15mins. You might not want to stand up but be reassured after a short while they'll want you to go and get on with being pregnant!

If you'd like company during the longest wait of your life ( :roll: ), join the 2ww thread on the General Forum which will be women waiting to test, just like you!

Yes we were first time lucky, the product of which is shouting 'lap, lap' at me and not liking my not letting her type....

good luck
Debra.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Postby Sand » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:12 pm

Hi Babiluv - Welcome to the site ! As Debra's said, excellent fertilisation rate - you should be pleased. Make sure you get tons of rest between now and ET ... get your bod as fit as possible before baby embies are replaced. Good luck !

Sandra x
Me 41 yrs old - dh 49 yrs old. ttc 110 yrs.
1st cycle (ICSI)....Mar 04 -ve.
2nd cycle (ICSI)....Aug 04 -ve.
3rd cycle FET........May 05 -ve.
4th cycle (ICSI) ... Feb 06 -ve
5th cycle FET ..... Feb/Mar 11
Sand
Board Veteran

Postby Susie » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:12 pm

Hi babyluv
On my first attempt I got three eggs. The number was so low coz the clinic hadn't judged my medication quite right. All 3 fertilized but on the day of ET 2 fragmented at the last minute so only 1 was replaced. I was 25 at the time and got a positive result.
This time with the knowledge of my last cycle the clinic got my meds perfect and I got 9 eggs, 7 fertilised, 5 frozen and 2 replaced. I'm now pregnant again with 1 baby.
I think the first time is like a practice and next time the clinic will increase your meds to give you more eggs.
As I proved all you need is one
Good luck hope it all goes OK
Susie
Me 37, DH 53 Male & female factor
1st ICSI +ve, a daughter born 2001
2nd ICSI +ve, a son born 2006
Susie
Regular

Postby babiluv » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:14 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hopefully I will have a positive result too. I was just worried because being so young you think we would produce more eggs but when they said i only had 4, i was beginning to worry that maybe i might also have other problems. But hopefully all will grow and they can transfer at 2. Susie, if you dont mind me asking what was the cause of your infertility? mines was damage tubes with fluids which cause my doctor to remove my tubes to improve my chances at ivf. they did this before my ivf cycle. my transfer is this wed. i can't wait, i pray everyday that i will get a positive results. so where are you at on your 2nd cycle?
babiluv

Postby babiluv » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:17 am

sorry, i just notice you had a BFP!!! Congrat!!!
babiluv

Postby Susie » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:06 pm

Hi Babiluv
I dont mind you asking. I have severe polycystic ovaries and ovulate about once every 18 months if I'm lucky!
My DH has also had a vasectomy reversal and has been left with low motility and anti-sperm antibodies. So we have both problems to overcome.
You are still young, I know that comment doesn't help but hopefully you will get a BFP first time
Good luck
Susie
Me 37, DH 53 Male & female factor
1st ICSI +ve, a daughter born 2001
2nd ICSI +ve, a son born 2006
Susie
Regular

Postby babiluv » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:18 pm

MY TRANSFER IS TOMORROW!!!!
babiluv

Return to Introductions