IVF-Infertility.com home

Stressed Out

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

Stressed Out

Postby Babysoft » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:03 pm

Hello Everyone,

I just found this forum yesterday and I truly feel like it is a blessing that I did. I have read a lot of threads, but unfortunately I do not understand all the of abbreviations that are being used. If possible could someone please give me a short list, so I will better understand what I'm reading.

Anyway on to my problem. I am 28 years old and I already have a 9 year old daughter. My husband and I have been together 4 years and we have not been able to concieve. I have been going to the same Doctor for over 2 1/2 years and everytime I see him, I feel like he is becoming more stupid and I am becoming more infertile. To bring a little laughter to my troubling situation...I went for an ovulation injection on Friday, when I went back a week later to have blood work done to see if I had ovulated...he asked me if I needed a refill on birth control. <-----Go ahead and laugh....my horror stories keep me sane. I guess I'd rather laugh at that then to imagine him being a good Doctor who just can't help me conceive. Well on to my many procedures...I've had the HSG, the laparascopy and about 5 injections and 1 aritficial insemination...which all failed.

So on to my questions...what are some of the basics things that should be done when you initially see your Doctor.
Babysoft
Regular

Postby DebraP » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Hi, thanks you did make me laugh. There's an element of gallows humour when having fertility tmt where we secretly acknowledge, it's either laugh or cry time.

Have a look through the abbreviations thread at the top of General Forum, nearly all of them are there.

I have a Q about your Q. Do you mean what questions should you ask a new clinic/consultant? On the General Forum, if you scroll back a few pages to 11 July's entries, you'll see 3 threads together on this subject. This might be a good place to start but let me know if I've misunderstood.

Good luck
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Stressed Out

Postby Babysoft » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:26 pm

What's funny is when I asked my doctor certain questions, he acts like none of it is explainable. The problem I'm having is "nothing" is actually wrong with me. I mean all the test I've had come back okay and the one time I had my blood work done, I ovulated. My husband had a semen analysis and it was good. I'm just trying to find out what testing I should have. I have decided to change doctors...a friend of mine who had never been pregnant, concieved only three months after going to GRS. So I've decided to give them a shot and helping me. I really don't know what should be done. I see that every has had all these test and I don't think I've had any of these things done. I feel like a little child...scared to ask for the last cookie.

Lastly, I have signed up for a research study for IVF, the study pays the full amount of medication and $4,000 towards the procedure. Can you tell me about the IVF experience you've had?
Babysoft
Regular

Postby DebraP » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi, going to a new clinic which comes with a personal recommendation can only be a good thing. If you've time, read as much as you can on the different forums. There are always lots of questions being posted - esp. from people new to the prospect, have a look at the IVF Forum as newcomers often post Qs there.

My experience? not a lot to say really outside of my signature list. We've had 3 fresh cycles and 2 frozen (using our own excess embryos from our fresh cycles). We've managed 3 +ve results (from 2 fresh and 1 frozen cycle). Of those we've had one baby, one miscarriage and one ectopic pg. We're about to start another fresh cycle as my consultant continues to think we've a good chance of success. If this fresh fails, we'll use the 3 frozen we have waiting and call it a day.

hth
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Return to Introductions