IVF-Infertility.com home

I'm new to all this!

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

I'm new to all this!

Postby Luellie » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi, I'm new to posting messages on computers, it took me a while to get this far, so please bear with me! I'm also new to ivf.

Went to my local hospital a while back to find out why I'd never been pregnant (am 34 now) naively thinking they'd just give me a few pills and send me my on my way, so was devasted when they told me I had only one viable ovary and both my tubes had been knackered in the past without me even noticing! It's taken me about 3 years to take all this in and decide to go through ivf.

To cut a long story short, I'm going into hospital on Monday to have my tubes clipped, tied or taken out altogether (I'm a bit vague on the detail, find it easier to cope that way). They want to do this before I start ivf treatment so that I can't have an ectopic pregnancy. I'm a bit scared and wondering why I've never heard of anyone having to have this operation. Is it something lots of people have to go through?

Doctor said as soon as I've recovered from this operation I can get started on ivf (October-ish). I'm so glad I've found this site so I know lots of other people are going through the same kind of things. None of my friends or anyone I know have had fertility problems so I don't know much about it. And everytime someone tells me someone else is pregnant I feel like bursting into tears!
Luellie

Sponsor

Postby DebraP » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:37 pm

Hi there and welcome to the site. 'Snap' on the tears on other people's good news, we discuss it often on here as it seems to happen in waves and suddenly everyone you know is making their happy announcements, it's just too much after a while.

Re. your tubes, to be honest I've never heard of anyone having this done prior to IVF 'just in case'. I had an ectopic in May after IVF but was clearly told that the risk of it happening after tmt is no greater than with a normal conception - 1:100 odds apparently. My consultant told me I was only the 2nd ectopic in 3 years of running his own clinic. In fact, in a sick twist, I had my tubes tied/cut 15 years ago but there was a tiny corner left and that was all it took. I know it's late but maybe call tomorrow and get a very clear answer on why they think it necessary. You could argue it can't hurt to be sure the tubes are closed but again, there are 100s of us on this board and I've never read anyone saying this before.

Good luck
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Postby Luellie » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:29 pm

Hi Debra, thanks for the welcome. I thought the tube operation sounded a bit suspect and drastic and that's partly what put me off for a while. I quizzed my female GP about it when I got her to re-refer me and she assured me it was necessary?! Oh dear, I'm a bit spooked now! I'm all mentally and practically geared up for it happening on Monday. Perhaps I should give them a ring tomorrow??

Ellie
Luellie

Postby Sand » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:45 pm

Ellie - Welcome to the Site and glad you've found us.... Heed Debra's advice and see if you can get a little more info before you go ahead. I haven't been in your position but I've read these boards for a while, and it does sound unusual. Give them a ring Ellie - if only for peace of mind.

Sandra x
Me 41 yrs old - dh 49 yrs old. ttc 110 yrs.
1st cycle (ICSI)....Mar 04 -ve.
2nd cycle (ICSI)....Aug 04 -ve.
3rd cycle FET........May 05 -ve.
4th cycle (ICSI) ... Feb 06 -ve
5th cycle FET ..... Feb/Mar 11
Sand
Board Veteran

Postby DebraP » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:47 pm

Hi Ellie. I didn't mean to spook you, sorry. Is the hosp for the ligation the same as would do the IVF? We've a number of Yorkshire girls on the boards as the moment, perhaps post a direct Q on the General Forum 'is anyone else having tmt at (Hosp.name)?' and explain why you're asking, that way you might touch base with someone at the same clinic as you.

hth
Debra.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Postby bubblymichelle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:44 am

Just want to say hello and welcome, wishing you all the luck in the world
Love
Shell.
xx
bubblymichelle
Valued Contributor

Postby Luellie » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:24 pm

Hi, Sandra and Shell, thanks. Thanks for the suggestion Debra, I found someone else on here who has been to the same hospital as me and she rates it as good so I've calmed down a bit now! Will be bedridden and on morphine from Monday onwards so I went supermarket shopping today and bought lots of food and drink to put by my bed! Had a LAP about 3 years ago and DP was out at work all day. I wasn't prepared and survived 12 hours on half a glass of ribena and a packet of beef monster munch which were only in reach by pure chance. DP not a natural nurse! Not being caught out this time and have spent the afternoon cooking dinners and freezing them. DP not much of a cook either.
Love Ellie
Me 34, DP 46.
1st attempt at IVF Nov 05
Luellie

Postby DebraP » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Ellie...I'm sure he has other talents :wink: you made me LOL about the ribena and bag of crisps! Glad to hear you'll be better prepared this time.

I hope it all goes well, you'll have peace of mind now re. ectopics at least :)

Best of luck for Monday,
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor

Postby Sand » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:05 pm

Hi Ellie - Hope all goes to plan tomorrow. Let us know how yuo've gone on (after you've rested up for a while, of course)

Sandra x
Me 41 yrs old - dh 49 yrs old. ttc 110 yrs.
1st cycle (ICSI)....Mar 04 -ve.
2nd cycle (ICSI)....Aug 04 -ve.
3rd cycle FET........May 05 -ve.
4th cycle (ICSI) ... Feb 06 -ve
5th cycle FET ..... Feb/Mar 11
Sand
Board Veteran

Postby Luellie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:45 pm

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. Bag is all packed (or suitcase more like, don't know if i'm going for 1 day or 4, depends what they decide to do to me). What a wouldn't do for a giant glass of wine right now, but of course that's not allowed!

Thanks again for your support, it means a lot to me. DP thinks if you don't mention it it's not happening!
Love Ellie
Me 34, DP 46.
Luellie

Postby Luellie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Hello! Still alive! Just to say thanks again for the support last weekend. The operation went well. Luckily I just had the smaller op where they just clipped the tubes. I woke up in the recovery room and briefly came round enough to look under my gown to see the damage, started crying with relief to see only a couple of stitches and promply passed out again! Came home and slept for a week (literally!).

On arrival they did a pregnancy test on me. Was so nervous I managed inform the whole ward that I couldn't possibly be pregnant as I hadn't had any sex lately. Sure the other patients appreciated that bit of info!

Also, whilst waiting at the theatre entrance to be knocked out, the lady looking after me (?) asked me in a conversational manner if I had any children!

I've an appointment to get started on the IVF on 21st September, so will just pop into the site for a look until then.
Love Ellie
Me 34, DP 46.
Luellie

Postby leigh » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:07 am

Hi Ellie
Just read your posts. I am also in Yorkshire. Got appointment to see nurse mid September then will have actual EC and ET for IVF in October. So we may be cycling at same time.
Good luck to you

xxxxxxxxxxxx

[
Me 33 DH 33
iui April 2005 -ve
ivf in October 2005
7/11/05 BFP!!!!!!!!!!
Jake born 31.7.06, the love of our lives
leigh
Regular

Postby Luellie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:03 pm

Hi Leigh.
Do you mind me asking, which hospital you go to? I go to the Halifax one.
All being well, see you on the October thread!
Love Ellie
Me 34, DP 46.
Luellie

Postby k » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:35 pm

Hi Ellie

Ive been on holiday, so just catching up. Im glad your operation went ok.
All the best with your IVF treatment. Keep us up to date with how you are doing. Keeping my fingers crossed that you are lucky first time!
Love Kim
Me 36 DH 33 Male factor due to chemotherapy. IVF\ICSI May 05 +ve.
Jenna Grace born 19.1.06 then natural BFP!
Nathan Alexander born 2.10.08
k
Regular

Return to Introductions