IVF-Infertility.com home

New to the forum

For new members wanting to introduce themselves.

New to the forum

Postby abking » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:20 pm

Hello. I am very excited about finding this website!

To give you a little of my background, my husband, 34, and me, 29, have been TTC for 2 years. We were able to conceive on our own with the help of clomid, but unfortunatley it was what the dr. called a chemical pregnancy. A few months later we tried our first IUI. I was taking only follistim. It was not successful. My 2nd and 3rd IUI I took follistim and repronex. Both IUI's were successful, but they were both ectopic. During these past 2 years, I have had 3 laproscopic surgeries. The first surgery was exploratory. It determined that I had level 2 endo. and my left tube was blocked. The second surgery was to attempt to unblock my tube, and the last one, a month ago, was to remove the pregnancy.

It has definitley been an emotional roller coaster! Knowing we can conceive, but it having the inability to travel thru my tubes to my uterus has lead us to strongly consider IVF. My husband and I have a dr. appt. next month to begin the IVF process. I will keep you informed.

I would be very interested to talking with someone that has experienced some of the same situations that I have. Good luck to all.

abking
abking
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm

Sponsor
 

Postby DebraP » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi there, yes you've really been through it haven't you? Tragically, there are many on the board with similar stories. Sometimes it seems like it's repeated "bad luck" (weak phrase that it is) year after year.

I've only experienced a little of what you have (see below). My ectopic took much longer to recover from than I expected, I thought I'd bounce back but it keep striking me at odd times how bloody unfair it was to get pregnant in the wrong freaking place, 0.5cm would have done it for me. Still, it wasn't to be. You'll know already that over time, very very gradually it hurts less or maybe just gets a little easier to think about?

I wish you the very best of luck, as soon as you know when you might start again, join (or form) that month's treatment group. I can promise you a mix of newbies and those will more tmt experience behind them. Chatting with others about to start tmt always lightened my load.

Good luck
Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:40 pm

Appreciate your reply

Postby abking » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:49 pm

I appreciate you responding. I don't mean to be nosey, but I noticed that you had done IVF and experienced an ectopic. Is there not a way to prevent an ectopic when doing IVF? Did your dr. explain this to you? I am
so scared that is what will happen to me considering I have already experienced 2 ectopics. Thanks.

abking
abking
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm

Postby DebraP » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:24 pm

Hi, there is no 100% way to avoid an ectopic as although the doctor places the embryo(s) back in your uterus, they float for a while and can move around. I've read (Zita West's book) that there is a slightly higher risk of assisted pregnancies being ectopic as the embryos free-float for slightly longer.

One of the reasons assisted pregnancies have v.early scans (6 weeks) is to detect how many embryos have implanted and where they are. In my case the scan was scheduled for 7.5weeks which was exactly 1 day too late. Most people have their scans at 6wks.

I'm not sure this will have put your mind at rest but at least you're gathering more relevant information

Debra.
Me: 44, DH: 31
Game Over.
Dates: Aug 02 - May 06
Tries: 5 fresh + 4 frozen.
Results: 1 daughter, 2 m/c, 1 ectopic.
DebraP
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:40 pm

Postby ogr1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:45 pm

i thought you couldnt get a ectopic if you didnt have any tubes?

glad you found this forum..
:)
we werent blessed with our babies to raise here but we our blessed with our grandaughter
and all of our many adopted and foster children that touch our lives
and i am glad to add that our 6th grandchild will be born this spring!!!!
ogr1
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:11 pm

Tubes

Postby abking » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:19 am

The 2x I have had laproscopic surgery they have been able to keep my tubes, eventhough I have been told in so many words that they are useless. The dr. tells me that IVF is the way we should go, b/c I keep getting pregnant in my tube. Your response raises the question if the dr. removes the tubes what would be the chances then? Thanks.

abking
abking
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm

Postby Sand » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:49 pm

Hi abking

Just a quick post to say Hello and Welcome to the Site. Hope your consultation next month is positive and shows you the way forward ..

Sandra x
Me 41 yrs old - dh 49 yrs old. ttc 110 yrs.
1st cycle (ICSI)....Mar 04 -ve.
2nd cycle (ICSI)....Aug 04 -ve.
3rd cycle FET........May 05 -ve.
4th cycle (ICSI) ... Feb 06 -ve
5th cycle FET ..... Feb/Mar 11
Sand
Board Veteran
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Lancs, England

Postby Jeni Babes » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:28 pm

hello abking


welcome to the site...
I have been through similar probs with endo...and lost of preg...It has been an emotional roller coaster.
I have lost both my tubes to ectopics but unfortunatly i am 9 years older than you...please keep positive you have time on your side.

Good luck with the appointment...keep us all informed.

Jen
xxxx
Jeni Babes
 

Consultation with dr. and pre-testing

Postby abking » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:25 pm

Hey, ladies. I have been out of pocket for a while. I hope everyone is doing well.

In the meantime, since my last post, my dh and I went to our first IVF consultation with dr. Considering my past with ectopics I had several questions about IVF. He stated that I had a 97% chance of achieving a pregnancy without being ectopic and a 3% chance or less I would. Kinda hard to believe when you've had 2! I questioned where he got his data. I did ask him about removal of my tubes, but he didn't want to take that route yet. Overall, the consultation went well. We talked with the financial coordinator too. We are planning on doing the 2 cycle shared risk program. We'll actually have 4 chances. Fresh, frozen, fresh, frozen. Compared to 1x IVF vs. shared risk, we felt this was the route we needed to take.

The latter part of last week we went for our pretesting. I was on the clomid challenge test this month. My bloodwork (estrogen level, and FSH level were okay) Also I had a SIS test done. The nurse and dr. did not see anything unusual in my uterus. They performed this test to see if there might be anything preventing implantation. What a painful test! I also did a HSG test. I already knew my left tube was blocked, but according to this HSG test my left is open and my right blocked. The dr. explained to me that the 2 ectopics had blocked my right and when they did lap surgery they had unblocked my left. How weird! I was surprised at the results of this test.

Now we are waiting on the dr.'s to review my records and determine if we'll be good candidates or not. It looks like we could do IVF as soon as next month. I am very nervous! I'll keep you informed.

abking :D
abking
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests