IVF-Infertility.com home

2nd Stage Weaning Advice Needed

Forum for those who have undergone successful treatment, and wish to share their experiences of parenthood.

2nd Stage Weaning Advice Needed

Postby Kim » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Dear Mums

Thomas was 6 months old last week and I had a visit from my Nursery Nurse today to discuss 2nd stage weaning. I was given lots of advice on what Thomas is and isn't allowed to eat now but as usual there are questions I forgot to ask.

My main concern is what I can and cannot freeze. I'd like to be able to cook and freeze meals in batches if possible as it makes life so much easier at lunch time. Also any advice on what you have found to be the best sort of containers to freeze meals in would be great.

Wendy - If you read this I know you used the Gina Ford book for weaning and I've noticed that some of the recipes state that they're not suitable for freezing so should I assume that unless stated otherwise the recipes are OK to freeze?

Also if anyone has found any other books on the subject of 2nd stage weaning that have been helpful I'd love to know.

All hints, tips and your own experiences will be gratefully welcomed.

Thank you all in advance

Hope you all had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year !!

Love

Kim
Kim
Regular

Postby BelB » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:57 am

Hey Kim,

The term "second stage weaning" is unfamiliar to me (I've never heard it mentioned here in Australia), but I assume it relates to the introduction of solids?

We used to Gina Ford book, also Isobel Karmel has an excellent book that talks in great detail about what to cook at what stage, how to freeze it etc. We basically cooked huge batches of whatever it was (chicken casserole etc), and froze it in ice cube trays. When they froze we popped out the blocks and put them in the deep freeze in packs of one or two in those zip lock bags. Meant we had small portions on hand to defrost when we needed them.

Good luck!!
B
BelB
Regular

Postby Kim » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:39 pm

Thanks Bel !!

2nd stage weaning is just the term used for the 6 to 9 month phase when you can introduce dairy products, meat and fish and when you don't have to puree everything as much.

I'm going to make up some chicken casserole batches to freeze to start off with and maybe some thick soups as well.

Thank goodness for freezing !!! The thought of preparing meals from scratch every day while trying to keep a 6 month old entertained is soooo not my idea of fun.

Love

Kim
Kim
Regular

Postby bina » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:59 pm

HI Kim,
I agree with BelB - our little one is nearly 13 months and I followed the Gina weaning and Anabel Karmel weaning books, which worked a treat! She eats nearly everything now and is not afraid to try new things! I found the Anabel Karmel recipes a bit easier to do (Gina's are a lot of chopping and hard work - then again I'm the anti-housewife...). In her book there's also very clear symbols under each recipe, which states whether it can be frozen or not. I just froze them in ice cuba trays, but actually bought some with lids, so the food wasn't exposed. (they have a sort of slide-on lid).
Hope this helps.
Best wishes and good luck! Happy cooking!
bina
ttc 2.5 yrs
endometriosis treated May 2003
IVF Apr 2004 +ve: Lucy was born 27.12.04
2nd IVF Jan06 +ve; EDD 30th October 2006 - feeling sooo lucky and praying for a healthy delivery!!!

me 36 yrs; DH 46 yrs
bina
Regular

Return to Parents after treatment